Ezio traversed through the catacombs until he entered a large hall and encountered two Followers of Romulus.
- Ezio: I seek those who lead the Followers of Romulus.
Ignoring Ezio's request, the men hurriedly left the hall through an exit at the upper level of the room, severing a rope behind them in an attempt to prevent the Assassin from following them. Ezio then scaled the giant hall by using the path taken by the Followers. On his way, he caused a pillar to collapse, creating a shortcut.
- Ezio: Perfect! A route up if I fall.
Upon before arriving at another room, Ezio was surrounded by many Followers of Romulus.
- Follower of Romulus 1: Hear us, oh Romulus, what must we do to this trespasser?
The Followers advanced towards Ezio.
- Ezio: Do not listen. Only the Borgia speak through him, not your god.
- Follower of Romulus 1: Romulus says that the Assassin must die!
The Followers attacked Ezio, with many more joining in as he climbed his way up a pillar in a multi-leveled room, though their efforts to stop the Assassin proved useless. If Ezio escaped them, they would stop following him.
- Follower of Romulus 2: We cannot follow!
- Follower of Romulus 3: Come! One of the other tunnels will lead us to him.
Ezio reached the shrine at the end of the catacombs.
- The path through the maze-like catacombs was marked by torches, wherein the flames blew in the appropriate direction, along with arrows on the walls which could only be seen through Eagle Vision.
- While the torches led the way to the Romulus scroll, poorly-lit tunnels often led to chambers containing treasure.
- Three Borgia flags could be found in the catacombs.
- If Ezio used Eagle Vision near to the entrance to the basilica, two drawings could be seen on the floor, which matched others drawn by Subject 16 in the Abstergo laboratory in 2012.