Legend has it that a she-wolf protected the infants Romulus and Remus, the founders of Rome. During the Renaissance, the Followers of Romulus wore wolf skins to emulate their god, and they also placed wolf skulls on the entrances to their Lairs.
The Templars also saw the potency of wolf symbolism to the Assassins' preoccupation with eagles: one such example consisted of Baltasar de Silva and Fiora Cavazza dubbing their Assassin-styled protégé "Il Lupo" ("The Wolf"). Akin to this, the Templar Shay Cormac's ship, the Morrigan, featured wolf designs on her sails.
During the 18th century, the Assassin Ratonhnhaké:ton became adept at hunting wolves, trading their pelts, meat and teeth for money. When he and Robert Faulkner arrived at Oak Island to search for William Kidd's treasure in 1777, they were attacked by a pack of wolves who were situated near the sinkhole it was buried under.
In an alternate reality, Ratonhnhaké:ton drank the Tea of the Red Willow and became one with the Spirit of the Wolf. In return, he gained the ability to turn invisible, and the power to summon wolves to attack his enemies.
- The Templar Order is often likened to wolves in memory names, such as Wolves in Sheep's Clothing or In the Wolf's Lair, or in the Italian-named memories In Bocca al Lupo and Crepi il Lupo. It can be said that the Wolves are often associated with the Templars, as opposed with the Assassins, who are associated with Eagles.
- On one occasion, Edward Braddock stated "wolves often travel in packs" when he met Haytham Kenway and his fellow Templars in Boston.
- In contrast, Daniel Cross derided the Assassins as a "family of wolves" in Assassin's Creed: The Chain.
- Shay Cormac's ship, the Morrigan, has crimson sails emblazoned with a wolf insignia, as well as a wolf figurehead and wheel.
- In winter, wolves could be seen attacking cattle on Warren and Prudence's farm on the Davenport Homestead.
- Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood (mentioned only)
- Assassin's Creed III (first appearance)
- Assassin's Creed: Project Legacy (mentioned only)
- Assassin's Creed: Rogue (mentioned only)