Aveline met with the houngan outside his cottage.
- Houngan: Aveline, what troubles you?
- Aveline: I'm investigating new reports of disappearances. Are you missing anyone?
- Houngan: It does seem that way. But so many rest here before moving on, it is not always apparent where or why a man has gone. Your friend, Élise, hires many people to work. She may know better.
- Aveline: Perhaps...
- Houngan: I feel a great change coming. You will face powerful foes. Please, take this – a new poison I have been testing. It makes the victim momentarily hysterical...
- Aveline: Thank you, venerable one.
Aveline set out to find Élise.
- Élise: Aveline, old girl! Where you been? The swamp's not the same without you. The gators are getting uppity!
- Aveline: Oh, you know... business demands and piano recitals... How I've missed the Bayou air. It has the scent of action about it!
- Élise: Among other things... Listen, I'm glad you're here. The other day, I saw something, and I said to myself, Élise, old girl, there's something not right... Convoys, loaded with the strangest cargo: People. Dozens of them.
- Aveline: Where were they headed?
- Élise: I can't say. But I know where they came from: the Fort.
- Aveline: Will you show me the place?
- Élise: Thought you'd never ask! Meet me tomorrow. I'll mark your map.
Aveline met with Élise the next day.
- Élise: A carriage just passed. We can catch it at the bend. I'll race you!
They then reached a heavily guarded convoy, and eliminated all the guards.
- Élise: I recognize these people! Some of them have worked for me. Chrisfait! A word?
- Chrisfait: Élise! What are you doing here?
- Élise: What does it look like? Rescuing you.
- Chrisfait: From what? Employment? Freedom?
- Élise: Er... Chrisfait, these chains don't exactly say "freedom" to me.
- Chrisfait: Temporary discomfort. Too many workers escaped the last voyage without paying their fare. We'll be released once we reach the work site.
- Élise: These terms don't concern you?
- Chrisfait: Élise, everything in this life concerns me. But I can survive a little longer, 'till we get south to freedom.
- Aveline: I don't trust this. Chrisfait, I promise we'll get to the bottom of this.
- Chrisfait: But–
- Élise: We should investigate the fort while the time is ripe. With all the soldiers in town, there can't be many left.
- Chrisfait: Élise–
- Aveline: I like your thinking.
- Élise: Good. I'll scout ahead. Find me at the bridge. And Chrisfait... Keep out of trouble.
- Aveline: While we go stir some.
- Chrisfait: Right... Thanks.
Aveline and Élise intercepted the convoy and freed the slaves, but discovered little information about the slaves' destination. They then made plans to infiltrate the fort.