23 November 1718
- Vane: So Thatch has been topped... Fuck's sake.
- Edward: He was outnumbered. I couldn't reach him.
- Vane: Devil damn the man, he was fierce. But his heart was divided.
- Edward: It's hard to let go of the life you know best.
- Vane: Aye. My own idiot father liked to brag about how he meant to purchase a ship of his own. 'I'll get a privateering contract, Charlie. Your old dad will be a captain.' Drowned in a whiskey bottle before he ever left shore. Right, Kenway... I been musing on this plan of yours. This... Observatory you're always going on about. How do we know it exists?
- Edward: We find a slave ship called the Princess. Aboard should be a man called Roberts. He can lead us to it.
- Vane: All them slavers work for the Royal African Company. Let's find one of their ships and start asking some questions.
The men began to search for a slave ship.
- Adéwalé: What's our course, Captain?
- Edward: We're looking for slave ships. Any that work for the Royal African Company.
- Adéwalé: You don't mean to traffic in human cargo now, do you?
- Edward: No. Jaysus, Adé. You know me better than that. We're only after information. Looking to find where the Princess docks in her spare time.
- Adéwalé: The Princess... a slave ship?
- Edward: Aye. Blackbeard told me there was a good chance we'd find the Sage aboard her.
- Adéwalé: Captain. Vane just sunk a merchant schooner.
- Edward: Damn! Can't that animal stay the course we agreed to?
Edward located a slave ship, known as the Royal African Pearl.
- Adéwalé: Don't sink that slaver's ship, Kenway! There's hundreds of innocent men aboard.
- Edward: I know. I know!
- Adéwalé: She's spooked, Captain! The slaver's ship is running!
- Edward: Damned fool! I'll get us in close!
- Adéwalé: Damn that captain Vane! He's unloading everything he has.
- Edward: He'll sink it if he's not careful. We'll get closer.
The slave ship disabled the Ranger.
- Adéwalé: Vane's dead in the water!
- Edward: I'm taking us close.
Edward sailed over to Vane's ship.
- Adéwalé: Lay aboard boys! Fast as you are! All clear! Pull away!
- Vane: Chase those bastards down, Kenway! I'll murder the men who scuttled my ship!
- Edward: Keep calm, mate. Remember what we're after.
- Adéwalé: Keep wide of the fort, captain. Those cannons have a long reach.
They managed to board the ship.
- Edward: We're going over! Find the captain!
- Vane: Come at me, roysters! You scurvy maggot brains!
- Edward: Guns and steel answer louder than sticks and spittle, Vane!
- Vane: I've more than enough of all that!
- Edward: Just find the captain!
They overtook the men on the ship.
- Edward: This captain claims the Princess sails out of Kingston every few months.
- Vane: All right. We'll set a course.
- Captain: You made hash of my sails and rigging, jackanapes! You owe me a share.
Vane swiftly shot the captain.
- Captain: Ah!
- Edward: Damnit, Vane!
- Rackham: Oh Charles! What a surly devil you are!
- Vane: Don't fuck with me, Jack.
- Rackham: But it's my mandate to fuck with you, Charles. Lads!
Vane's crew pulled their weapons on Edward, Adéwalé and Charles.
- Adéwalé: Ah!
- Rackham: See... the boys and I had a bit of a council while you were wasting time with this lot, and well, they figured that I'll be a fitter captain than you reckless dogs.
- Vane: I'll cut you another cunt, traitor!
- Rackham: This one I figure I may sell for a tenner in Kingston. But with you two grog-blossoms, I can't take any chances.
- Edward: You'll regret this day, Rackham.
- Rackham: I regret most of them already. Tie 'em up. Cast 'em off.
Edward and Vane were left on the disabled Ranger.
- Vane: I'll gut you, Jack Rackham! I'll open you up, I'll tear out your organs, and string a bloody lute with 'em!
- Edward: Stop your god damned howling, Vane! It's no bloody use!
- Vane: Well, well, the fearsome Edward Kenway speaks! Pray tell us, captain, how to quit this predicament! And tell us what genius you have for sailing a boat with no sails and no rudder!
- Edward: Shut your gob!
Edward gained information on the Princess, but due to Rackham's mutiny, he and Vane were stranded on the destroyed Ranger.
- The name of the memory is a reference to the 2009 film, Inglourious Basterds.