FANDOM


  • We all know that Altaïr could do air assassinations long before he described the techniques in his Codex. He didn't think it twice and he saved Al Mualim's life by killing Haras by doing so (Even when the cutscene and the possibility to do a leap of faith before that contradicts this).

    And now Bayek can do it as well.

    My question is... what did the developers say about this? How did they explain it?

    Was it that the Animus had some restrictions to the Animus-user so (s)he could not pass through the Bleeding Effect?

      Loading editor
    • To be fair, the concept of an air assassination isn't really that complex, it's probably safe to say that numerous Assassins had performed a variation of the technique before Altaïr officially wrote it down.

      For example, Bayek's air assassination involves him leaping on top of the enemy, knocking them to the ground, and then stabbing them with his Hidden Blade. Whereas the "official" version written down by Altaïr involves stabbing the enemy directly upon impact.

      It should also be noted that it is technically possible to perform an air assassination in the first Assassin's Creed. There are numerous tricks and stunts that can be performed within the game but that the player isn't told about. Here's a video showing how it's done.

        Loading editor
    • The Wikia Editor wrote:
      To be fair, the concept of an air assassination isn't really that complex, it's probably safe to say that numerous Assassins had performed a variation of the technique before Altaïr officially wrote it down.

      For example, Bayek's air assassination involves him leaping on top of the enemy, knocking them to the ground, and then stabbing them with his Hidden Blade. Whereas the "official" version written down by Altaïr involves stabbing the enemy directly upon impact.

      It should also be noted that it is technically possible to perform an air assassination in the first Assassin's Creed. There are numerous tricks and stunts that can be performed within the game but that the player isn't told about. Here's a video showing how it's done.


      Indeed, I'm aware of that. When I first knew I didn't stop doing it haha.

      But then, there's nothing in the lore that explains it? No Animus restriction? Because in terms of gameplay, it's more than obvious. But in the lore... I don't know.

      Thanks.

        Loading editor
    • Cristophorus35 wrote: Indeed, I'm aware of that. When I first knew I didn't stop doing it haha.

      But then, there's nothing in the lore that explains it? No Animus restriction? Because in terms of gameplay, it's more than obvious. But in the lore... I don't know.

      Thanks.

      I could've sworn that before Altaïr officially introduced the technique, it wasn't that Assassins couldn't perform it, so much that Al Muslim forbade them to do so, just as he forbade the use of poison. It is likely then that Al Muslim also didn't teach it to them, but as the Wikia Editor mentioned, it's not the most complex of techniques, and individual Assassins could have conceived it themselves.

      Altaïr apparently made an exception to this rule when saving Al Muslim from Haras.

        Loading editor
    • Sol Pacificus wrote:

      Cristophorus35 wrote: Indeed, I'm aware of that. When I first knew I didn't stop doing it haha.

      But then, there's nothing in the lore that explains it? No Animus restriction? Because in terms of gameplay, it's more than obvious. But in the lore... I don't know.

      Thanks.

      I could've sworn that before Altaïr officially introduced the technique, it wasn't that Assassins couldn't perform it, so much that Al Muslim forbade them to do so, just as he forbade the use of poison. It is likely then that Al Muslim also didn't teach it to them, but as the Wikia Editor mentioned, it's not the most complex of techniques, and individual Assassins could have conceived it themselves.

      Altaïr apparently made an exception to this rule when saving Al Muslim from Haras.

      If I recall correctly, the official explanation for Altaïr performing an air assassination on Haras was that the situation didn't leave him with any other options.

      I've reread Altaïr's Codex, the only prohibition mentioned is about the use of poison, no technique-related prohibitions were mentioned or implied. Altaïr mentioned it while talking about abolishing the traditions that were enforced under Al Mualim, such as the removal of the ring finger.

      As for what can be considered Animus restrictions, that's a difficult one. Clay Kaczmarek stated in Revelations that the Animus 1.28 is "frankly primitive". In general, the Animus only gives access to areas, weapons and techniques that the ancestor experienced at that particular point in time. However, it's difficult to tell if, for example, Altaïr's ability to perform air assassinations in the original game can be considered part of the lore or just a fun trick meant to be discovered by experimental players.

      Regardless, Bayek's use of a variation of the technique clearly shows that the concept already existed long before Altaïr invented the "official" version.

        Loading editor
    • Or it could be as simple as that Al Mualim enforced the idea of being a blade in the crowd rather than what the Assassins become since AC2. Air assassinations and other means of sticking to the shadows don't enforce being as and unseen among the people. As there would be no need for acrobatics except for during the escape after the assassination that was performed while being a blade in the crowd.

        Loading editor
    • ACsenior wrote: Or it could be as simple as that Al Mualim enforced the idea of being a blade in the crowd rather than what the Assassins become since AC2. Air assassinations and other means of sticking to the shadows don't enforce being as and unseen among the people. As there would be no need for acrobatics except for during the escape after the assassination that was performed while being a blade in the crowd.

      Was about to agree as speculative as that is, but then I remember that Al Mualim's methods was specifically for his agents to perform shocking, high-profile, awe-inspiring assassinations in broad daylight in front of crowds so as to send a message of fear even if such approaches were near suicidal. This is explained by Pierre Bellec and is also the case with the real-life Assassins historically.

      We see Altaïr demonstrate this in one of the AC trailers.

        Loading editor
    • Sol Pacificus wrote:

      ACsenior wrote: Or it could be as simple as that Al Mualim enforced the idea of being a blade in the crowd rather than what the Assassins become since AC2. Air assassinations and other means of sticking to the shadows don't enforce being as and unseen among the people. As there would be no need for acrobatics except for during the escape after the assassination that was performed while being a blade in the crowd.

      Was about to agree as speculative as that is, but then I remember that Al Mualim's methods was specifically for his agents to perform shocking, high-profile, awe-inspiring assassinations in broad daylight in front of crowds so as to send a message of fear even if such approaches were near suicidal. This is explained by Pierre Bellec and is also the case with the real-life Assassins historically.

      We see Altaïr demonstrate this in one of the AC trailers.

      Not exactly a contradiction since the method to reach the target during the time was sosial stealth, killing the target in high profile once the Assassin come close enough would still allow the assassination to be shocking and awe-inspiring. It's simply bleeding in the crowd before striking.

        Loading editor
    • ACsenior wrote: Not exactly a contradiction since the method to reach the target during the time was sosial stealth, killing the target in high profile once the Assassin come close enough would still allow the assassination to be shocking and awe-inspiring. It's simply bleeding in the crowd before striking.

      I never said that social stealth contradicts awe-inspiring, shocking techniques, but that Al Muslim had a preference for high-profile assassinations means that air assassinations doesn't contradict with his methods.

        Loading editor
    • Yeah like this!

      Haven't soon your name in a while ACsenior.

        Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message

Ad blocker interference detected!


Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers

Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.