Following a trail of clues left behind by her mother, Aveline explored an underwater cave system not far from the work site.
Having ended up in a First Civilization chamber after navigating the caverns, Aveline solved a puzzle that revealed a piece of the Prophecy Disk. After retrieving it, Rafael Joaquín de Ferrer appeared, having blasted his way into the chamber using explosives.
- De Ferrer: How wonderfully useful you are. You remove those who would supersede me in rank. You find pieces of the Prophecy Disk, saving me the effort... If you weren't my enemy, I would take you for my friend! Our aims must not be so different for all the help you give me.
Aveline fought off de Ferrer's men before killing him, sending him over the edge into the depths of the cavern. Having becoming structurally compromised, the chamber then started collapsing, prompting Aveline to make her escape with the artifact. The tunnels eventually led her to a safe area, where she happened upon her mother.
- Jeanne: Aveline!
- Aveline: Maman?
- Jeanne: It can't be! I left you in Madeleine's protection for your own safety! You and my heart! What cruel destiny brings you now... and carrying the blade of the enemy? Don't tell me–
- Aveline: I thought you were dead...
- Jeanne: Please understand: they would have killed me – taken my heart. I never wanted to leave you. Is that it? Has Agaté sent you here to kill me? Please, tell me you do not hate me so much – I would not have left–
- Aveline: Kill you? No I– I came here on my own–
- Jeanne: Aveline, the Disk can never fall into Agaté's hands. If it did, everything I've been working to find and protect since leaving Nouvelle Orleans (New Orleans) would be destroyed!
- Aveline: How do you know him? And... Why are you so afraid?
- Jeanne: Long ago– No! I'm sorry Aveline. I hope you can forgive me some day.
- Aveline: Maman!
Aveline recovered a part of the Prophecy Disk, and discovered her mother was alive and well in Chichen Itza. However, Jeanne left Aveline with more mysteries surrounding Agaté.
- In the Vita iteration, de Ferrer and all of his guards need to be taken out before the escape sequence starts, whereas in the HD remake, that sequence begins as soon as de Ferrer is killed.