|The Mentor's Keeper|
Masyaf is under attack by the Crusader Templars. Fight your way up to the fortress and save Al Mualim.
At the age of 24, Altaïr Ibn-La'Ahad returned to Masyaf on horseback and found the mountainous village under siege. After helping a fellow Assassin fend off two Templars, he confronted the man that ordered the attack, Haras. However, the gates were closed, so Altaïr scaled the fortress wall to save Al Mualim.
Altaïr rode into the besieged town and saved a fellow Assassin.
- Altaïr: Are you hurt?
- Assassin: Broken foot.
What is your name, brother?
- Altaïr: Altaïr. Son of Umar.
- Assassin: Umar... ah yes. He was a fine man who lived as he died. With honor.
Abbas came running to Altaïr.
- Abbas: Altaïr! We have been betrayed. The enemy has overrun the castle!
- Altaïr: You'll live.
Altaïr turned towards Abbas.
- Altaïr: And Al Mualim? Where is he?
- Abbas: He was inside when the crusaders broke through. We can do nothing for him now.
Altaïr! We must fall back!
- Altaïr: When I close the castle gate, flank the crusaders in the village and drive them into the canyon.
- Abbas: You don't stand a chance!
- Altaïr: Abbas. No mistakes.
Altaïr made his way to the Masyaf gate and was confronted by Haras, whose men were holding Al Mualim.
- Haras: Another step and your Mentor dies.
- Altaïr: You will not leave this place alive, traitor.
- Haras: No. You misunderstand. I am no traitor...
... for I cannot betray those I never truly loved.
- Altaïr: Then you are double wretched, for you have been living a lie.
Altaïr started infiltrating the castle, while Haras killed three Assassin hostages in succession, beginning with Yahid Ahmedi.
- Haras: Now you call on your lapdog to protect you? You disappoint me. Why not share what you have learned with everyone, like a proper Assassin? Why not share with your brothers the true extent of your ambition? Where is your sense of fraternity?
Haras killed Raşit El Zübeydi.
- Another good man dies, and still you say nothing! I am surprised. You taught me many things, Al Mualim, but patience was not one of them. Speak now, or I will cut out your tongue that you may speak no more!
Your time is running out, old man. Tell me what you know of the artifact! Tell me where you are searching for it. It is a small price to pay to preserve what you have built here, no?
Even if you found the artifact, what good would it do you, eh? You have neither the skill nor the breeding to wield its full powers. In your hands it would be a powerful and seductive weapon, yes... but nothing more.
Haras killed Fahd El Fehmi.
- There now! Three men dead because you refuse to talk. Your silence will be the death of you too, Assassin. My Master wants answers. And if he does not get them, he will gladly take your head!
Altaïr assassinated Haras.
- Haras: You put too much faith in the hearts of men, Altaïr. The Templars know the truth. Humans are weak, base, and petty.
- Altaïr: No. Our Creed is evidence to the contrary.
- Haras: Ah... perhaps I am not wise enough to understand, but I suspect the opposite. That I am too wise to believe such rubbish.
Haras died and Altaïr walked with Al Mualim.
- Al Mualim: You offered him a chance to salvage his dignity. Why?
- Altaïr: No man should pass from this world without knowing some kindness.
- Al Mualim: But he shunned your graces.
- Altaïr: As was his right.
- Al Mualim: Altaïr, I have watched you grow from a boy to a man in so short a time, it fills me with as much sadness as pride. You fit your father's shoes as if they had been tailored to your feet.
- Altaïr: I did not know him well as a father. He was an Assassin above all.
- Al Mualim: You too were born into this Order. Do you regret it?
- Altaïr: How can I regret the only life I have ever known?
- Al Mualim: You may find a way, in time. And it will be up to you to choose the path you prefer. Come, my boy... and ready your blade. This battle is not yet won.
Altaïr killed Haras and saved Al Mualim.
- To achieve full synchronization, Altaïr must save all civilians. These citizens are four people represented by black dots on your minimap who are being attacked by two Templar soldiers.
- A rare Easter Egg can be seen. If you use your Eagle Sense, you can see one of the Assassins in red.
- Although the Crossbow was not in the first Assassin's Creed due to timeline concerns, Haras uses it to kill his Assassin hostages. It is also used by ordinary Templar soldiers.
- In this memory, Altaïr is able to perform certain assassination techniques that he couldn't in the original Assassin's Creed, set two years later, such as the air assassination and ledge assassination maneuvers, he is also able to perform the climb leap and fast climb.
- Though it may be caused by other means, after beating the main storyline, Altaïr has the same facial hair that he has in A New Regime, along with dual Hidden Blades.
- While part of this mission was shown at the Gamescom 2011 demonstration, Altaïr's lines were re-dubbed for the final release, despite the lack of any changes to the script. Neither Al Mualim nor Haras had their lines re-done.