Nikolai Orelov's Name Meaning Edit
Can someone try and find out what Nikolai's name means?
Hewkii9 00:34, July 20, 2010 (UTC)
"Nikolay or Nikolai is a Slavic variant of the masculine name Nicholas." - Quote taken from Wikipedia article "Nikolay".
Doe that help you any Hewkii? A.J. two 00:43, July 20, 2010 (UTC)
Nikolay means the victor of the people, or the victory of the people. I am russian and I know the thing. The short for it in russian is Kolya. The surname Orelov is a Slovenian\Bulgarian variant, the Russian one is Orlov. It comes from a genitive case of the word orel. The slovenian one is orelov and the russian is orlov.
The information is from the articles http://ru.wiktionary.org/wiki/orel and http://ru.wiktionary.org/wiki/%D0%9F%D1%80%D0%B8%D0%BB%D0%BE%D0%B6%D0%B5%D0%BD%D0%B8%D0%B5:%D0%A1%D0%BB%D0%BE%D0%B2%D0%B5%D0%BD%D1%81%D0%BA%D0%B8%D0%B5_%D1%81%D0%BA%D0%BB%D0%BE%D0%BD%D0%B5%D0%BD%D0%B8%D1%8F_%D1%81%D1%83%D1%89%D0%B5%D1%81%D1%82%D0%B2%D0%B8%D1%82%D0%B5%D0%BB%D1%8C%D0%BD%D1%8B%D1%85 (use google-translate to read the both are written in russian)
188.8.131.52 01:11, July 26, 2010 (UTC)email@example.com
The word ORLOV doesn´t mean "syn orla", it is genitive and means what word in genitive means. It has origin in the meaning eagle´s son, it does not mean exact eagle´s son, you can say "orlov voditelj" ant it does not mean "eagle´s son is driver"(in russia, there doesnt exist "to be", only in special ocassions they use "yestj"), but "eagle´s driver". It changes a lot of things. I think the same case with surname is in almost all other languages, that surname is parents´ name. Mabe some other surnames are from the place of birth/hometown like Leonardo da Vinci, Jeanne d´ Arc, Vincent van Gogh... My name is too name from father of father of father of father... of my grandfather. And i am not son of a guy named with my surname, not my grandfather, not his father. Sorry for grammar or syntactic or any other mistakes. :-)
184.108.40.206 18:58, September 12, 2010 (UTC)
Is it just me, or does his ginger mo' look out of place? Kind of makes me laugh when I look at it. LOL. The Thief 11:06, August 25, 2010 (UTC)
Message from Cameron StewartEdit
Hi there, this is Cameron Stewart, one of the two writer/artists of Assassin's Creed: The Fall, and co-creator of the character Nikolai Orelov. I'm writing to object to a revision of this wiki article which erroneously changed the name of the character to Orlov, and further was written in such a way as to suggest that a Mr. Kirill Yarovoy influenced the naming of the character. For the sake of accuracy in this wiki, I can categorically state that the character's name is spelled ORELOV. It is indeed true that this is not a true Russian surname, the fact of which is addressed in the comic, as Orelov's family is not Russian. I can also state that despite his insistence, Mr Yarovoy was in no way responsible for or an influence on any creative decisions on this comic.
- Altough we can't ignore the fact that we may been getting this thing wrong and the writer above truly be Mr. Stewart, we may also not ignore the fact that it can be anyone else. Given the fact that his twitter account corroborates the post above, I'll take a leap of good faith and considering the identity of the poster true. I'm changing the page back. -- D. Cello 03:59, November 10, 2010 (UTC)
- Hi there, thanks D. Cello. I can provide whatever authentication you require that it is indeed me. Thanks for trusting me and reverting the page! - Cameron Stewart, 11:28pm, November 10, 2010
- Not a problem, mate. We're a wiki, our promise is with the truth.
Altough I'm not sure of your identity, I won't be asking for a DNA test or anything like it, of course. But if you would, all doubts can be removed if you'd post something on your twitter referring to us/our talk/something related to this, that way we know that is really you since only Mr. Cameron has access to his twitter. =] -- D. Cello 05:20, November 10, 2010 (UTC)
- Not a problem, mate. We're a wiki, our promise is with the truth.
- And it would be awesome to become a bit more noticed among people such as yourself for all our hard work, it would be such an honour to be mentioned :D. We've only been mentioned by Ubisoft themselves only a few times, but it's still better than nothing (atleast they acknowledge us! :D) --THIEF 05:26, November 10, 2010 (UTC)
- Okay, I made a mention on my Twitter, thanking D.Cello. Hopefully that's proof! 220.127.116.11 14:54, November 10, 2010 (UTC)
- Grand! That was a bit more.. personal that I expected, but it definitely proves it. Thanks for your cooperance and will, Mr. Stewart. Welcome to the Assassin's Wiki. =] -- D. Cello 17:02, November 10, 2010 (UTC)
- Well, I think that sorts the matter. I was getting somewhat annoyed with the constant back-and-forth going on over their articles. I'm more interested to know that we've got some recognition, if i'm honest. EDIT: That all said, I'm sure D. simply forgot (:P) but I would recommend you set up an account on site, that way if you ever have anything else to share, you won't have us questioning your identity again. --Jasca Ducato Council Chamber Assassination record 18:20, November 10, 2010 (UTC)
- Okay, done. Thanks for the hard work guys, this wiki has come in handy a few times when researching The Fall. CameronMstewart 19:48, November 10, 2010 (UTC)
- And thank you as well, Mr. Stewart. Please inform us of any more inaccuracies concerning The Fall you might stumble upon on this wiki. :) -- Master Sima Yi 19:54, November 10, 2010 (UTC)
- Im not sure if Cameron Stewart just a stupid man who do not understand the meaning of words he reads or he simply a liar, but check these proves i found: (1) Conversation between Kirill and Karl that happened before Cameron started to spread lie here, where Karl was consulted about some Russia-related questions and said that they are talking now about changing ORELOV to ORLOV http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/805/cameronmstewartkarlasks.png/ http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/842/cameronmstewartkarlasks.png/ http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/855/cameronmstewartkarlasks.png/ http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/26/cameronmstewartkarlasks.png/ (2) Direct messages send by Cameron to Kirill much later, where Cameron acted childish like a moron ignoring the facts and giving insults: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/687/cameronmstewart.png/ http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/84/cameronmstewart2.png/ http://imageshack.us/f/443/cameronmstewart3.png/ (3) Messages sent to Cameron by Kirill which explained that Cameron misunderstood everything and conversation was mentioned only as prove to possible name change as was stated by Karl and pronounced later as ORLOV in interview: http://imageshack.us/f/526/cameronmstewart1sent.png/ http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/842/cameronmstewart2sent.png/ . Now when you have some real facts, make your decision and believe whatever you want to belive, but remember - if someone made a comic for Ubi it doesnt mean he is a good honnest guy who can not lie, also keep in mind that even few guys from Ubi who saw this coversation was not on Cameron's side and consider him a douchebag after that (but unofficially, just a few personal opinions). Never make your judgements before you listen both sides. —Preceding unsigned comment was added by 18.104.22.168 (talk · contr)
- Please remember to sign your posts with 4 ~ or by using the signature button on the top left of the editor screen. Now, onto more important issues. Please refrain from bringing arguments onto a wiki or insulting other users (any users regardless of who they are). A wiki is an open source database for information and not a place to bring arguments. I am merely pointing this out so we can all converse in a dignified and mature manner. -- ► Kaloneous ◄ ♣HelpDesk♣ 02:37, June 23, 2012 (UTC)
- Was there a point to posting this a year and a half after the comic published? On our website? The comic clearly uses the name 'Oreelov and it doesn't concern us whether Mr. Stewart was rude to somebody or not, we don't pay his wages... It doesn't matter whether the individual pointing out that the spelling "Orelov" was grammatically incorrect was right or not, the comics (and the spellings in said comic) are the only thing we will consider.
Wrong Tense Edit
The majority of the article needs to be rewritten in the past tense. I'll get it started. 22.214.171.124 01:34, December 29, 2010 (UTC)
WTF just happened? I had to move it two times to change it back to the original title, now it's completely gone! Hope I can fix this. -- Master Sima Yi 19:31, February 20, 2011 (UTC)
- F*CK F*CK F*CK! It entirely removed the article from the wiki's database. It's completely gone... I'm so sorry, guys... I really am... F*cking Wikia!!! -- Master Sima Yi 19:36, February 20, 2011 (UTC)
- .... oO --THIEF 21:39, February 20, 2011 (UTC)
I wonder if Nikolai was in any part based on Sergei Trufanov, also known as Iliodor. Khioniya Guseva, infamous for her failed assassination attempt on Rasputin, was supposedly one his disciples. Like Nikolai, he fled Russia after the Revolution, eventually setting in New York. Darth Something 15:35, December 11, 2011 (UTC)
- No. Nikolai was never associated with the Black Hundreds, and before his investigations into Rasputin owning the Shard, he had never been associated with him. Also, Nikolai did "flee" anywhere, he left Russia of his own accord. --Jasca Ducato Council Chamber Assassination record 15:37, December 11, 2011 (UTC)
Nikolai's Age and Aleksandr Edit
How old was Nikolai when he knew Aleksandr? On Aleksandr's wiki page it says that they were close friends. So, he (he being Nikolai) would be about 20, 21, or in his mid or late 20s. Becuse in the comic, he (he being Nikolai) looked to be about 30 (or, long shot, 40) years old.
That's Aleksandr Ilyich Ulyanov, Vladimir Lenin's Brother-->http://assassinscreed.wikia.com/wiki/Aleksandr_Ulyanov
Also, on that note, did Russia do public executions during this time? Because it says that Nikolai was in the crowd, and I remember reading that Russia didn't do public executions until Comrade Lenin made it so. I could be wrong, but clarification would be nice.
On the featured articles section of the main page, I noticed Nikolai's name was also given in Russian, but is missing the middle name. It's Андреевич, making his full name Николай Андреевич Орлов, and I'd add it to the article but it doesn't appear to include his name in Russian at all. Should I go ahead and add his name in Russian along with the middle name? ~ GI Auditore Talk to me maybe? 06:14, July 13, 2012 (UTC)
- No, don't have his Russian name because it's not given in the comic or anywhere else. -- Master Sima Yi Clogs 07:25, July 13, 2012 (UTC)