|Taking Care of Business|
A little charm goes a long way.
Do not kill anyone.
29 January 1765
Aveline entered the warehouse.
- Philippe: --second time this month! Customer relations are strained enough without shipments disappearing!
- Gérald: Your er... frustration is understandable, Monsieur. In your position, I... I should demand a full investigation. Please, let me look into it. I... I will go talk to Monsieur de Saint Maxent at once.
- Philippe: Most grateful, Monsieur Blanc. At least I know I can always rely on you.
Aveline then tailed Gérald Blanc.
- Gilbert-Antoine: My boy, the cargo was stolen from this very ship. I have no more means of retrieving it than you do!
- Gérald: Yes, Monsieur, that is indeed troubling. I er... well what would you suggest, then?
- Gilbert-Antoine: I know this much: the devil had the gall to impersonate my dress, and my signature! Can you imagine?
- Gérald: Non, Monsieur... Imagination has never been my er... strong suit. If it's not too much trouble, may I... uh, look at your books?
- Gilbert-Antoine: My books? I'd interrogate the captain! If his crew takes bribes, I'd wager he's no less corruptible!
Aveline neared the ship and bribed the guards.
- Aveline: Are you the captain of this ship?
- Carlos: Si. (Yes.) Capitán Carlos Dominguez, at your service.
- Aveline: May... May we speak in private, Capitán?
- Carlos: Who am I to refuse such a comely creature? Come.
They went to the captains quarters.
- Aveline: Would you be so kind as to tell me what happened with Monsieur de Saint Maxent's shipment?
- Carlos: Why would you want to know? Bah! Don't you worry, my little ángel. The cargo found its way to the intended recipient. Let me pour you a cup. I dare you to tell me this isn't the best Madeira wine that ever graced your heavenly lips!
- Aveline: If... if you insist, Capitán.
- Carlos: I do! You will not find a better vintage in all of the New World.
- Aveline: I am intrigued. Truly.
Aveline stole a letter and escaped the ship while the captain poured the drinks.
- Aveline: They hid the goods in two warehouses.
Aveline discovered the location of the stolen goods.