The primary mission of Byzantine stalkers was the elimination of Mentor of the Italian Assassins, Ezio Auditore da Firenze, during his stay in Constantinople. They would typically appear if the Templars were alerted to the Assassin's presence.
Stalkers dressed similarly to the civilian populace in order to blend with the crowd, and wielded daggers concealed in their sleeves. They also carried a large amount of akçe, as well as rare bomb ingredients. Stalkers typically attempted to be inconspicuous while they were being observed by Ezio, choosing to strike only if his back was turned. However, using Eagle Sense, the Assassin was able to locate stalkers among the crowd and dispatch them before they attempted to strike.
If a stalker managed to wound Ezio, they would immediately flee while the Assassin was weakened from the attack, never attempting to face him in open combat. Typically, however, Ezio was able to struggle out of a stalker's grip, and kill them with their own weapon, or push a stalker to the ground while they closed in on him. Additionally, if the Ottoman guards witnessed a successful stalker attack, they would pursue the assailant.
Assassin stalkers were present during the Seven Years' War, working closely with the the Assassin-affiliated gangs in New York and other settlements, pursuing the Assassin-turned-Templar, Shay Cormac.
Utilizing their Assassin training, the stalkers laid in wait disguised as civilians or in hiding spots such as haystacks, and attacked with Hidden Blades. They were capable of freerunning, knife-throwing and using smoke bombs, allowing them to both reach high points and strike from above, or attempt to stun Shay and attack him while he was vulnerable. If he faced a stalker's attack head-on, Shay could typically parry and counter the strike, killing the assailant in the process.
- Assassin's Creed: Revelations
- The appearance of a stalker is indicated by a white knife on the Animus mini-map if they were detected using the Eagle Sense, along with an ambient whispering noise and a change in the background music, as they get close to Ezio.
- The second set of the Romani guild challenges consisted of killing or countering five Byzantine stalkers before they stabbed Ezio.
- Killing a stalker reduces Templar Awareness by 25%, serving as an alternative to posters in Constantinople.
- Assassin's Creed: Rogue
- The appearance of a stalker is indicated by a pulsing, pink vignette on the Animus display, alongside a whispering sound. These increase in intensity as Shay approaches the stalker's hiding place.
- Stalkers could be either female or male, with the female ones typically appearing in more urban areas, while male ones were usually encountered in the River Valley's forests.
- Some Stalkers are dressed as Spanish captains from Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag in the North Atlantic, mainly at the settlement at Saint Anthony before it was captured by Cormac and the British. This is a possible glitch as such uniforms are retired, Possibility in the 1740's.
- There is a glitch where, if shot with a sleep dart, some stalkers will wake up and become totally harmless.