Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
- Piri: "Ah! Turkish smoke bombs. Are you curious to try a few?"
- Ezio: "Should I? I have used smoke bombs before, with varying results."
- Piri: "But not like ours. We have a special recipe for deep, dark clouds. Throw one of these and your eyes are useless. You must rely on your hearing, and... any other senses you may have cultivated."
- —Piri Reis, describing a smoke screen bomb to Ezio.[src]
Smoke screen bombs were tactical explosives that were used by the Assassins during the Renaissance, both in Italy and Constantinople. In Italy, they were purchasable from blacksmiths, whereas in Constantinople, smoke screen bombs were required to be crafted using any shell or gunpowder type combined with the phosphorus effect. Accompanying this, they could also be obtained by looting the corpses of Varangian guards.
Smoke screen bombs used in Constantinople released a thick, dark cloud of smoke, obscuring the vision of those trapped in its radius. Its effect was so great that those inside the smoke screen had to rely completely on their hearing whilst the smoke covered them. It also blinded the vision of Ezio as well, forcing him to use Eagle Sense in order to "see" inside the cloud of smoke.
It was a highly effective bomb, both at breaking pursuit and disabling any guards, without risking civilian casualties. It did not, however, last for very long, allowing the guards outside its radius (while still unable to pass through) to be capable of attacking.
In 1478, Ezio traveled to San Gimignano to assassinate the remaining Pazzi conspirators, and in particular, Stefano da Bagnone. Upon reaching the abbey where he was located, one of Mario Auditore's mercenaries provided Ezio with a smoke bomb to use upon escape. From there on, smoke bombs were able to be purchased from blacksmiths.
In Rome, during the 16th century, smoke bombs were also able to be purchased from blacksmiths for 350ƒ each, however, only after the smoke bomb pouch was purchased from a tailor for 9500ƒ. This allowed Ezio to carry a total of three smoke bombs at a time.
- Main article: Piri Reis: Smoke Screen
In Constantinople, smoke screen bombs were crafted instead, using an ingredient called phosphorus. Upon speaking to Piri Reis about the bomb, he explained to Ezio on how to use the new explosive. To allow him to try the bomb for himself, Piri sent Ezio on a mission in which the Assassin used the smoke screen bomb to infiltrate a church courtyard and steal the bomb ingredients stored there.
- The achievement "I can see you" was achieved by killing 5 guards, while they were caught in the effects of the smoke screen bomb.
- During Abstergo Industries' Animi Training Program – and by extension, the Animus games console by Abstergo Entertainment – smoke screen bombs were used by Abstergo's recruits and the game's audience to stun enemies and prevent attacks.