Short blades were short bladed weapons that traded power and reach for a faster swing rate.
Altaïr Ibn-La'Ahad's short blade was returned to him after he had reached the third rank in the Assassin Order, following his demotion. Like the sword, his skill with the short blade increased as he progressed higher through the Order's ranks.
The first short blade he obtained had a wooden handle, though he received an all metal variation at a later rank. In both instances, he carried the short blade in a sheath strapped across his back, with the handle facing down.
In a similar fashion to Altaïr, Ezio Auditore da Firenze was equipped with both a medium weapon and a short blade, though they were sheathed together at his side. He could purchase various types of short blades from blacksmiths, each with unique speed, damage and deflection properties.
Several of his allies, such as thieves and courtesans, also used short blades in battle. Certain guards and assassination targets, such as agiles and Rodrigo Borgia, made use of short blades as well. However, none of these held their weapons in an icepick grip.
Short blades strike more quickly than medium weapons, which made them ideal for dispatching large numbers of low-ranked enemies. However, as an enemy's rank increases, the short blade's effectiveness diminished, due to the higher quality armor they wore.
For Altaïr, the special, close-ranged attack of most short blades could only be performed from behind – slitting an enemy's throat, or stabbing them in the shoulder or back – which would always result in an instant kill.
When used with the short blade, Altaïr could throw a single throwing knife mid-combat. Similarly, Ezio could dual-wield the short blade with throwing knives, and could throw multiple throwing knives at once.
|Channeled Cinquedea||3||3||4||4100ƒ||Sequence 5|
|Sultan's Knife||3||5||3||4300ƒ||Sequence 6|
|Butcher Knife||4||3||5||6400ƒ||Sequence 7|
|Notched Cinquedea||5||5||4||9500ƒ||Sequence 8|
|Channeled Cinquedea||5||2||4||N/A||Sequence 3|
|Bone Dagger of Romulus||2||4||4||1900ƒ||Sequence 4|
|Notched Cinquedea||4||4||2||8600ƒ||Sequence 7|
|Butcher Knife||3||5||3||5000ƒ||Renovate 5 blacksmiths|
|Maria's Dagger||5||3||4||N/A||Complete all Courtesan challenges|
|Dagger of Brutus||5||5||5||N/A||Retrieval of Romulus' treasure|
Constantinople and Derinkuyu
|Kurdish Jambiya||1||2||2||345||Sequence 2|
|Macedonian Dagger||2||2||2||518||Sequence 3|
|Standard Stiletto||1||3||2||805||Sequence 3|
|Arabian Dagger||2||4||1||1848||Sequence 4|
|Butcher Knife||3||5||3||5750||Sequence 5|
|Afghani Khyber Blade||4||4||2||11040||Sequence 6|
|Bayezid's Knife||5||3||4||13248||Sequence 6|
|Romani Stiletto||5||3||4||N/A||Complete all Romani challenges|
|Mehmet's Dagger||5||5||5||N/A||Complete The Trickster, Part 1|
British Colonial America
|Stone Dagger||1||3||5||£450||Sequence 6|
|Iron Dagger||3||4||4||£2450||Sequence 6|
|"Broken Sword" Knife||5||5||4||N/A||Crafted|
French Colonial America
|Kuba||3||5||3||4||25000 écu||Assassin, Slave|
The Kukri is a short, bladed weapon of Nepalese origin, similar to a machete. These weapons are available to Jacob and Evie Frye in London . They are also used by the leader of the Assassins in London, Henry Green .
They are the most lethal melee weapon availabile in Victorian London but have lower impact for stunning than the cane-swords also available.
There are 16 available Kukris.
|Ivory||2||2||1||4||Complete Sequence 3, Somewhere That's Green||£500 | +1 all stats|
|Adept||3||3||1||3||Buy for £3000||-|
|Ruby||4||4||1||4||Reach Loyalty Level 1 with Henry Green||£2000 | +1 all stats|
|Iron||4||4||1||4||Craft: £2000 and 80 Metal||-|
|Bold Eagle||5||5||2||5||Complete Sequence 5, Friendly Competition||£2500 | +1 A, +1 L|
|Guard||5||5||2||5||Buy for £4000||-|
|Jade||6||6||3||6||Complete Sequence 6, A Case of Identity||£3500 | +2 A, +1 L|
|Master Ruby||6||6||3||6||Reach Loyalty Level 2 with Henry Green||£3500 | +2 A, +1 L|
|Henry's||6||6||3||6||Craft: £3000 and 120 Metal||-|
|Assassin||7||7||3||7||Craft: £3750 and 140 Metal||£4500 | +2 A, +1 L|
|Gold Blessing||7||7||3||7||Conquer the borough of The Thames||£4500 | +2 A, +1 L|
|Ancient||8||8||4||8||Buy for £10000||-|
|Master Assassin||8||8||4||8||Reach Loyalty Level 4 with Henry Green||£5000 | +2 A, +1 L|
|Serrated Death||9||9||4||9||Reach Loyalty Level 4 with Ned Wynert||-|
|Eagle's Splendor||9||9||4||9||Craft: £6000, 160 Metal and 50 Chemical||-|
|Legendary Assassin||10||10||5||11||Reach Loyalty Level 5 with Henry Green||£10000 | +3 A, +1 S, +2 L|
- In Assassin's Creed, Altaïr was the only person to use a short blade, other than Malik Al-Sayf and his brother Kadar, until Malik lost his arm and Kadar, his life.
- In Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood, once all throwing knives had been used up, Ezio would throw sand to momentarily blind and incapacitate his target, although Ezio could also do this when in unarmed combat.
- In the blacksmith shops in Brotherhood, the Notched Cinquedea had the store image of the Channeled Cinquedea, and vice versa.
- Unlike in Assassin's Creed II, in Brotherhood, the Channeled Cinquedea was a weapon that could not be purchased, and was only available through disarming guards that wielded it.
- Only very few individuals held the short blade with an icepick grip. These included Altaïr Ibn-La'Ahad, Tamir, Ezio Auditore da Firenze, Francesco de' Pazzi, Bernardo Baroncelli, Claudia Auditore da Firenze, Ratonhnhaké:ton, Kanen'tó:kon and Desmond Miles. However, Ratonhnhaké:ton held only his Pivot Blade in an icepick grip, while Desmond also held only a bowie knife in an icepick grip with his left hand.
- An unusable Notched Cinquedea could be seen stuck in the table in Ezio's room at the Villa Auditore in Monteriggioni.
- Stephane Chapheau uses a unique short blade in Assassin's Creed III: his meat cleaver. It cannot be used by the player or acquired by any means.