- "They're gifts, Mr. Miles. From Those Who Came Before."
- ―Warren Vidic to Desmond Miles regarding the origins of the Pieces of Eden.[src]
The Pieces of Eden were technologically advanced pieces of equipment created by the First Civilization for various purposes. Each possessed unique properties suited to the purposes for which it was designed; with some capable of bending the thoughts of one or more individuals to the will of the user.
- Adam: "Eve, what is this device?"
- Eve: "Touch, Adam, and you will know."
- ―Adam and Eve examining the Apple of Eden.[src]
The Pieces of Eden have a long history that punctuate the tales of humanity. The Pieces of Eden were used to control humanity, who were created by the First Civilization to work as slaves. Humans reacted to the effects of the Pieces of Eden through a unique neurotransmitter implanted into their brains.
Interbreeding between humanity and the First Civilization led to the creation of a hybrid race, which was immune to the hypnotic effects of the Pieces of Eden. In 75010 BCE, two of these hybrids, Adam and Eve, stole one of the Apples from their masters and escaped from captivity in Eden. Soon afterwards, war broke out, pitting humanity against their gods.
While the rest of the First Civilization were busy fighting the war against humanity, Jupiter, Juno and Minerva were tasked with finding solutions against the impending threat of the solar flare. They relocated themselves to the Grand Temple in Turin, New York; which itself required entrance with an Apple of Eden , and had an inner gate that required another Piece of Eden to be opened - the Grand Temple Key.
By this time, the First Civilization were already able to generate small magnetic fields through the Shards of Eden, which were worn as rings. Using similar technology, the First Civilization hoped to create a large magnetic field through protect the Earth from the sun's flare, as their second attempt to save the Earth. They lacked the energy to do so, and though others cried out to them to be able to create a field to protect small portions of the Earth, they were ultimately unable to do so.
The First Civilization discovered that when enough humans sat in thrall of the Pieces of Eden and were forced to believe, their thoughts would become a reality. Jupiter, Juno and Minerva considered the possibility that they could thus change the consensus. As their third attempt, they sent an Apple of Eden into the sky, and when it was placed, they would utter the sentence "Make us safe." However, the attempt failed and they resolved to sending a dozen into the sky, again with no success.
Only ten years after the rebellion broke out, the solar flare destroyed most of the Earth's surface and population, leaving only about ten thousand humans alive and far fewer of the First Civilization. The remaining members of the First Civilization were revered as gods by the humans, and the First Civilization in turn aided and guided the culture of old human civilizations.
- "What of these artifacts? Messages in a bottle? Tools left behind to aid and guide us? Or do we fight for control over their refuse, giving divine purpose and meaning to little more than discarded toys?"
- ―Altaïr Ibn-La'Ahad's Codex, page 5.[src]
During the 12th century, the Knights Templar were participating in the Crusades in the Holy Land. By the time of the Third Crusade, they were led by Grand Master Robert de Sable, and they had focused their efforts on obtaining one particular Piece of Eden: Apple of Eden #2. Using the cover of the Third Crusade, the Templars infiltrated the catacombs of Solomon's Temple, in the city of Jerusalem, where they knew the Apple was located.
The Templars sought to obtain the Apple to aid them in their mission to bring peace to the region, and ensure their rule. Unfortunately for the Templars, one of their own had betrayed them; Al Mualim, secretly a member of the Knights Templar, but public leader of the Assassin Order, had sent his best agents to take the device.
Altaïr Ibn-La'Ahad and the Al-Sayf brothers intercepted the Templars, and the two parties engaged one another. Despite the death of Kadar, and Altaïr being thrown from the battle early on, the Assassins prevailed and spirited the Apple to their fortress in Masyaf.
For a year following this, the Assassins and Templars fought one another for control of the artifact, until the conflict was ended with the deaths of both Robert and Al Mualim at the hands of Altaïr. Originally intending to destroy the Apple, Altaïr found himself unable to do so, and instead decided to seal the Apple in the Limassol Archives. Circumstances worked against this plan however, and he decided to keep the Apple for himself, lest it fall into the wrong hands.
By 1454, an Apple of Eden had fallen into the hands of Sultan Mehmet II of the Ottoman Empire. Using its powers, Mehmet was able to conquer Constantinople and subdue the Byzantine Empire. Constantinople then became the capital of the Ottoman Empire.
In 1481, Mehmet II died, and he was succeeded by his oldest son, who became Sultan Bayezid II. Bayezid's brother Cem, a secret Templar, discreetly took his father's Apple of Eden for himself, hoping to use it to further the Templars' goals. However, to his dissatisfaction, the Apple refused to communicate with him on every attempt to use it.
Cem thus decided it best to leave the Apple for the Templars in Europe to obtain, as they had better studied these ancient devices. While on his way to meet the Knights Hospitalier on Rhodes, Cem made a stop on Cyprus and hid the Apple in the Templar Archive in Limassol, where the western Templars could find it.
By 2012, Abstergo Industries - the modern front for the Templars - sought to obtain the remaining Pieces of Eden. The Animus Project was set up with the sole intention of locating and securing the remaining Pieces of Eden through the usage of the Animus, a device based on First Civilization technology capable of reliving the genetic memory of one's ancestors. The Animus Project was also an important component in the Templar goal of ensuring a New World Order, through use of the Pieces of Eden.
With the Pieces of Eden, the Templars sought to manipulate the neurotransmitters that made humanity susceptible to the devices' hypnotic effects. Eye-Abstergo was an Abstergo project to launch an "all-in-one telecommunication" satellite into orbit around the Earth. However, unbeknownst to humanity (and many employees of Abstergo Industries), the satellite would contain an Apple of Eden, and spread its power out on a global scale.
On 10 October 2012, the Assassin team of Lucy Stillman, Desmond Miles, Shaun Hastings, and Rebecca Crane located the Apple of Eden hidden by Ezio Auditore beneath the Santa Maria Aracoeli in 1507 through reliving Ezio's memories in the Animus. Touching the Apple caused Desmond to be controlled by Juno, a member of the First Civilization. Under Juno's control, Desmond was forced to kill Lucy, who was secretly a Templar sleeper agent.
Upon the release of Juno's control, Desmond fell into a coma. Through achieving a Synch Nexus, Desmond was able to regain consciousness, and Desmond, his father William, Shaun and Rebecca later arrived at the entrance of the Grand Temple in New York. Using the Apple, Desmond was able to open the gates leading to the central chamber of the temple, but discovered that he needed the Grand Temple Key to open its inner gate.
After William was captured by Abstergo agents in Cairo while looking for a power source for the Grand Temple, he was brought to Abstergo's Rome facility. Warren Vidic, a member of the Inner Sanctum of the Templar Order and head of the Animus Project, proposed a deal with Desmond to exchange William for the Apple. Desmond traveled to Rome and entered the facility, killing the Abstergo agents and Daniel Cross. Upon arriving at Vidic's office, Desmond used the Apple to force Vidic's guards to shoot Vidic and themselves. Using the powers of the Apple, Desmond ensured his and his father's safe escape from Abstergo.
Due to Vidic's death and the failure to retrieve the Apple of Eden, the Eye-Abstergo project was pushed back to a later date.
Characteristics and attributes
Amongst the greatest tools known to man, by interacting with a neurotransmitter located deep in the human brain, the Apples of Eden could control the human mind. Other Pieces of Eden were capable of warping reality, creating illusions, ensuring total obedience and healing physical injuries.
Both the Templars and the Assassins believed that the Pieces of Eden were responsible for many historical tales and miracles, such as the Parting of the Red Sea, the start of the Trojan War, and the miracles enacted by "the Christ-figure," who foreshadowed the Christian faith, and the Biblical plagues that ravaged Egypt, amongst other supernatural happenings.
Abilities of the Pieces
Some Pieces of Eden were known to interact with and change the passage of time, possibly creating paradoxes. Others were able to "speak" to those who wielded them, as was the case with Ezio Auditore da Firenze, Perotto Calderon and Giovanni Borgia, who spoke with Ezio's Apple and the Shroud.
The Pieces of Eden, or at the very least the Apples, were capable of extending a pulse of energy when activated, that could drive those targeted to insanity and death. Doing so, however, had a detrimental effect on the physical health of the wielder if they were unskilled with using the Apples. A 92-year-old Altaïr was able to use Apple #2 for a limited duration without losing any physical health. Using the Pieces' powers in short bursts, however, could minimize the negative effects dealt out by the artifacts; though to what extent, is unknown.
Destruction of a Piece
Following the destruction of Apple of Eden #2 during experimental use at Denver International Airport, the Templars found themselves in need of another artifact with similar properties. Needing access to a map that indicated the location of all Pieces of Eden, the Templar-front company Abstergo Industries kidnapped the descendant of Altaïr Ibn-La'Ahad – Desmond Miles – in order to view the memories of his ancestor. This would allow them to view the very same map that Altaïr had discovered in 1191.
Each of the Pieces of Eden contained a great deal of potential energy stored within, and the destruction of one would cause an explosion on the scale of a nuclear blast. One such explosion occurred in 1908, in the region of Tunguska, Russia, when the Imperial Sceptre, one of the Staves of Eden, was seemingly destroyed by Nikola Tesla with the firing of his wireless electric weapon, as a strike against the Templars. Even then, however, the blast failed to totally destroy the Staff, and at least one shard remained.
Despite the obliteration of every other remnant of the artifact, the Staff shard still possessed impressive powers of mind control, as demonstrated by Grigori Rasputin. While he was in the possession of the Staff shard, he managed to force the attraction of Alexandra Feodorovna, the consort of Tsar Nicholas II of Russia, and the devotion of several disciples like Khioniya Guseva.
- "I KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING. I KNOW WHAT YOU DID. I SAW HIM. HE HAD A METAL BALL. IT OPENED. THEY WENT CRAZY. SHOOTING. STABBING. TORE EACH OTHER TO PIECES. I KNOW IT WAS YOU PEOPLE. SAW THE LOGO. HEARD THE NAME. I'M GOING TO TELL. ANYONE WHO WILL LISTEN. YOU'LL BE EXPOSED. THEY'LL KNOW THE TRUTH. AND THEN YOU WILL PAY. YOU CRAZY BASTARDS. YOU'LL PAY."
- ―An unidentified individual's e-mail to Dr. Warren Vidic.[src]
Although the First Civilization created humanity with a neurotransmitter that forced them to accept the will of the Pieces of Eden, eventual cross-breeding between the gods and their slaves bore a hybrid species. These new humans possessed some of the natural abilities of their gods and, most notably, they were also free of the neurotransmitter that bound them to the will of the Pieces of Eden.
The first two known individuals to be born immune to the effects of the Pieces were Adam and Eve, who later stole one of the Apples of Eden, and precipitated the war that followed. Members of the lineage also inherited these natural abilities and immunity to the mind-control of the Pieces, although the Pieces' ability to physically manipulate them remained. Individuals such as Altaïr, Ezio and Desmond all possessed these enhanced abilities, as well as a resistance to the effects of the Pieces of Eden.
By the early 21st century, the Templars were aware of the fact that some humans were immune to the mind control of the Apples of Eden, and as such, actively sought other devices to compensate for this. On at least one occasion, Dr. Warren Vidic, an employee of Abstergo Industries, received an email from an unknown individual who had not been affected by the powers of the Apple, and threatened to expose what they had seen.
Confirmed Pieces of Eden
Besides the Apples of Eden, the First Civilization created many more Pieces of Eden. Some of these affected humanity in similar ways, whilst others affected nature and even time itself. The Apples were all capable of controlling the minds of men, creating illusions and, to a degree, permitted physical control over said minds; the Apples could all be used in conjunction with a Staff, which increased the abilities of both Pieces.
Other Pieces included the Shroud, whose properties included the ability to heal the wounds of those it touched, the Ankh, capable of resurrecting the dead, and the Sword, a Piece that would pass through the hands of many great rulers through the centuries, including King Arthur and Attila the Hun.
The Crystal Skulls were Pieces that were scattered throughout Central and Southern America, allowed for truly wireless, unassisted telepathic communication between the holders of each Skull. At one point, a Crystal Skull came into the possession of Giovanni Borgia, who made use of its power in 1542. Similar artifacts, the Crystal Balls existed, which allowed the user to access the Nexus and communicate with members of the First Civilization. One of the Crystal Balls was notably used by the Assassin Ratonhnhaké:ton to communicate with Juno.
There was also the Grand Temple Key which, when combined with three ancient power sources, allowed the holder to open the gate to the inner chambers of the Grand Temple. The Shard of Eden was also discovered by Captain Kidd, which worked as a magnetic shield, repelling all metallic objects from its wearer. In addition to these artifacts found in America, the Assassin Aveline de Grandpré discovered a holographic device in the First Civilization Temple of Chichen Itza, the Prophecy Disk, that showed her the election of Eve as the leader of humanity's rebellion against the First Civilization.
According to emails read by Desmond Miles in 2012, at least one Piece of Eden existed that granted the ability to manipulate time. Concerns over possible paradoxes, however, led to Abstergo Industries locking it away.
Known locations of Pieces of Eden
Following the death of Al Mualim, and the Apple's projection of a map indicating the location of all Pieces of Eden, Altaïr copied the map and included it in his Codex, hidden away so that only one of his bloodline might see it. Based on the locations given on the Codex map, the following locations can be identified as containing a Piece of Eden:
- Giza, Egypt
- Lake Victoria, Africa, more on the Kenyan side
- The Gambia River, Gambia
- Timbuktu, Mali
- Taza, Morocco
- Canary Islands, Spain
- The Southern tip of the Kamchatka Peninsula in Russia, near the volcano of Opala
- Odessa, Ukraine
- Kharkiv, Ukraine
- Rennes-le-Château, France
- Salisbury Plain, England (presumably at Stonehenge)
- Loch Ness, Scotland
- Maroantsetra, Madagascar
- Nara, Japan
- Somewhere close to Goodhouse, South Africa, near the border between South Africa and Namibia
- Inside or nearby Boston, Massachusetts, United States
- Delhi, India or the Taj Mahal in India, a short distance south of Delhi
- Persepolis, modern day Shiraz, Iran
- Jerusalem, Israel
- Around the area of the Igara Parana River, Colombia
- Nazca, Perú
- South-western Sri Lanka
- Hellissandur, Iceland
- The area of Sabiene Island, Nunavut, Canada
- Around Phoenix, Arizona, United States
- Washington, D.C., United States
- Juneau, Alaska, United States
- In Padang West Sumatera and about Mid until East Java island, Indonesia
- The middle of the South Pacific Ocean
- The Pacific Ocean, close to the coast of Mexico
- The South Pacific Ocean, near the coast of the Easter Island and Chile
- The Atlantic Ocean, in an area where Atlantis was believed to have existed
- The Atlantic Ocean, a few hundred miles off the coast of Brazil
- The Antarctic Ocean, on the side of Antarctica facing up towards the Atlantic
- The Indian Ocean, almost cross sectioned with the tips of India, Africa and the southwestern tip of Australia - a small island called Ile Amsterdam
- The Antarctic Ocean, the side of the Antarctic ocean that faces up towards the Indian Ocean
- Arkangelsk, Russia
- Andorra le Vella, Andorra
- Sao Paolo, Brazil
- Barrow, Alaska
- La Rioja, Argentina
- Hervey Bay, Queensland, Australia
- Uluru/Ayers Rock, Northern Territory, Australia
- Somewhere in Padang, Sumatra, Indonesia
- Beijing, China
- Somewhere in the Altay Mountains in southwestern Mongolia
- Somewhere along the northern Coast of Chukotka province, Russia
- An area close to Tiksi, Russia
- According to the Glyphs and Truth files, many legends and myths throughout human history are actually historically accurate. The supernatural or paranormal parts of each legend can be explained by the protagonist in each having acquired his or her own Piece of Eden (i.e. the Greek myth of Perseus, King Arthur, etc.).
- In Assassin's Creed II, during the battle against Rodrigo Borgia in the Sistine Chapel, Ezio created copies of himself, much like Al Mualim did against Altaïr. If Ezio's robes are customized, or if the Armor of Altaïr is worn, his copies would appear with different sets of armor and colors. Whereas, if he was not customized, each copy would be perfectly identical to the real Ezio, besides his weapon.
- Both the Codex map and the map projection at the end of Assassin's Creed shown that there were only fifty Pieces of Eden at a time, though Subject 16 said the Shroud was Piece of Eden 66. This discrepancy has yet to be rectified.
- In the French and German version of Assassin's Creed II, the Shroud was referred to as number 36, not 66. Whether this is a mistake in the translation or not, remains to be clarified.
- The Chalice was initially thought to be a Piece of Eden; however, besides the Shroud, all other artifacts linked to the Christ-figure were confirmed to be only literary tools, as stated in Assassin's Creed.
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 1.11 Assassin's Creed II
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 Assassin's Creed: Revelations
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 3.5 3.6 3.7 3.8 Assassin's Creed III
- ↑ Assassin's Creed Encyclopedia
- ↑ 5.00 5.01 5.02 5.03 5.04 5.05 5.06 5.07 5.08 5.09 5.10 5.11 Assassin's Creed
- ↑ Assassin's Creed: Bloodlines
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 7.2 Assassin's Creed: Recollection
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood
- ↑ Assassin's Creed: Revelations - The Lost Archive
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 10.2 10.3 10.4 Assassin's Creed: Project Legacy
- ↑ Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood novel
- ↑ Assassin's Creed: The Fall - Issue #2
- ↑ Assassin's Creed: The Fall - Issue #3
- ↑ Assassin's Creed III: Liberation
- ↑ Emails