Altaïr listened to the two civilians' conversation from a distance.
- Civilian 1: Something needs to be done. It's only a matter of time before someone else discovers it.
- Civilian 2: Tell him then. It's in his best interest to keep the souk secure.
- Civilian 1: He won't meet with me. Too busy with this new deal of his.
- Civilian 2: And the guards?
- Civilian 1: Tried already. They won't lift a finger, unless the order comes from him.
- Civilian 2: Then what will you do?
- Civilian 1: I'll go to Abu'l Nuqoud.
- Civilian 2: The Merchant King? He won't see you.
- Civilian 1: He doesn't have to. I've written him a letter which explains the problem. He can read it, and decide for himself.
Altaïr then followed the carrier and took the letter during an opportune moment.
Altaïr acquired a letter with a map, which showed the northeastern rooftops providing an easy access to the souk's central courtyard.