Parachutes were an invention devised by Leonardo da Vinci in the early 16th century, during the Renaissance. They were able to slow a fall from any height, and could also allow their user to maneuver through the air.
Parachutes were square-shaped, and made up of cloth and ropes. However, as they were single-use, more were purchasable from tailors, along with larger bags that allowed one to carry up to fifteen at once.
After Leonardo created the parachutes upon the destruction of all of his War Machines, he offered them as an addition to the arsenal of the Assassin Ezio Auditore da Firenze. Aside from using a parachute to slow down his fall, Ezio could also drop from the parachute at any time, and perform an air assassination.
The Turkish Assassins of Constantinople also made use of parachutes. The Turkish Master Assassin Yusuf Tazim as well as three other Assassins used parachutes to cross the wall of Topkapı Palace. An Assassin apprentice also used one during the assassination of Lysistrata.
- Though they were designed by Leonardo da Vinci, parachutes were never used during the Renaissance, since testing them would involve a person jumping off a building.
- In Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood, deploying a parachute while leaping off the Castel Sant'Angelo granted the "Fly Like An Eagle" achievement.
- After downloading The Da Vinci Disappearance, the "Special Delivery" achievement was granted by executing a double air assassination from a parachute.
- In Brotherhood, using the parachute momentarily and quickly releasing it would not consume any parachute supplies. However, this was not the case for Assassin's Creed: Revelations.
- Entering a Lair of Romulus removed all the parachutes from Ezio's inventory, requiring him to visit a tailor and resupply. This was fixed in a patch, but still occurred during War Machine and Da Vinci Disappearance memories.
- In Revelations, parachuting off the Galata Tower, and into the waters of the Golden Horn granted the "Almost Flying" achievement.
- In Revelations, parachuting onto a zipline granted the "Show-Off" achievement.