- This article is about the Animi Avatar. You may be looking for the faction of the same name.
- "Clanless and self-sufficient, the Mercenary only takes sides for those who pay. Money is his single motivation and only the richest have seen his Short sword in action... Generally twice: first as a partner, then as a victim of a higher bidder."
- ―Ubisoft description.
The Mercenary (real name: Rocco Tiepolo) was an unlockable Animi Avatar used by Abstergo Industries to train the recruits in the first stage of their Animi Training Program. His primary weapon was a short sword, and he became available when a recruit reached Level 45.
The Mercenary had several unique moves:
(Low Profile, Back)
Approaching his target from behind, the Mercenary grabs their left arm and roughly spins them around. Following this, he impales his victim's stomach twice with his short sword before pushing their body to the floor.
(Low Profile, Front)
Walking casually to his target from the front, the Mercenary grips them by their right shoulder and headbutts them, stunning them. Afterwards, while they are vulnerable, he runs his victim's abdomen through with his short sword twice, before sheathing it and watching them fall back to their death.
(High Profile, Back)
Running up behind his target, the Mercenary grabs them by their neck, before roughly throwing them to the floor behind him. As his victim attempts to pick themselves off the ground, he stabs them in the lower back, severing their spine and paralysing them.
(High Profile, Front)
Sprinting towards his target, the Mercenary positions his short sword in both of his hands and impales them in the stomach, before lifting them up into the air. From there, he proceeds to throw them from the end of it, with his victim landing face forward into the ground with a deep wound.
Advancing towards his seated target, the Mercenary grabs them around the neck and holds them in a headlock with his right arm. Subsequently, he unsheathes his sword and stabs his victim in the stomach twice, before throwing their limp body to the floor.
Jumping from a rooftop onto his target, the Mercenary pulls out his short sword in mid-air and stabs it down into their spine, severing it and paralysing them. After this, he stands up from his victim's body and leaves them on the ground to die.
The Mercenary could be customized in several ways:
- Basic: Blue.
- Extra 1: Gray.
- Extra 2: Green.
- Extra 3: Red.
- Advanced: An altered glove, altered boots, and an extended jacket.
- Superior: His purple pants are changed to the customizable color, his cape is changed from purple to green, and a red capelet is added that bears the Templar cross.
- Elite: Another extension to his jacket, a larger right spaulder, and a large silver medallion was added.
- The crest on the Mercenary's cape was that of the Sforza house, possibly implying that he was somehow related to, or once worked for them.
- Sometimes when doing an aerial assassination, the Mercenary didn't pull out his short sword, which was the result of an animation glitch.
- His short sword looked very much like a shortened version of the Schiavona.