Altaïr entered the Bureau and was greeted by its Rafiq.
- Rafiq: It's the hero of Damascus! Come in, stay a while! Tell me all about your adventures.
- Altaïr: I'm afraid I don't have the time.
- Rafiq: I see, too important for me now.
- Altaïr: It's not that.
- Rafiq: No, no, of course not. How may I serve you then?
- Altaïr: Al Mualim has asked I take the life of the one they call Jubair.
- Rafiq: Ah, Salāḥ ad-Dīn's chief scholar. Strange choice of target in my opinion. But who are we to question the Master's work. I'm sure he has his reasons.
- Altaïr: Then you're familiar with the man?
- Rafiq: He's been quite busy these past few days. Organizing the scholars and sending them into the streets to preach.
- Altaïr: What do they speak of?
- Rafiq: Light and fire, cleansing sins, apocalyptic nonsense if you ask me. All this talk of paths, and a New World.
- Altaïr: What about this New World?
- Rafiq: Couldn't say. I don't pay attention to the ramblings of madmen. Much too busy with real work.
- Altaïr: Very well. I'll walk among the people, see what I can learn. Where would you suggest I search?
- Rafiq: South of here you'll find an academy and a guard tower. They're both good places to search. There's also a hospital to the east you might want to visit.
- Altaïr: I'll begin at once.
- Rafiq: So eager! You've certainly changed, and for the better, I might add.
After gathering all the knowledge he could, Altaïr returned to the Bureau.
- Rafiq: What news, Altaïr?
- Altaïr: I've learned much about my enemy.
- Rafiq: Share what you know then.
- Altaïr: Jubair has become obsessed with purging the city of its knowledge.
- Rafiq: A most terrible crime! Now I see why Al Mualim wants you to remove him.
- Altaïr: He's using the city scholars to assist him. They go out into the streets, harassing the people and collecting all their written works. I fear he intends to destroy them all.
- Rafiq: He must be stopped!
- Altaïr: That's why I'm here. He's to hold a meeting soon, at the Madrasah Al-Kallāsah. It's where I'll go. It's where I'll take his life.
Rafiq placed a feather on the counter, and Altaïr took it.
- Rafiq: I'll leave you alone to prepare. Bring glory to the Brotherhood.
Altaïr shared his knowledge on Jubair al Hakim with the Rafiq, and was given leave to assassinate the target.