Masun did betray us! He believes Robert's cause is just, and is prepared to die for it. I should have cut his throat then and there, but it is not my place to judge the man's fate. I will bring him before Al Mualim.
Altaïr headed to the location specified in the letter. There, he found Masun preaching to the crowd from the stage.
- Masun: I see the way you look at me. Hear the things you say! A traitor! I'm not a traitor! It's Al Mualim who's betrayed us! You'll see! Soon, all your eyes will be opened to the truth! We stand upon the threshold between this world and the new one! A better place, where all might live as equals! But men, like Al Mualim, would see this dream destroyed! Today's attack was but a first, and more will follow unless you repent! Give up your wicked ways. Rise up against the madman of Masyaf! See through his lies!
Masun then left, and Altaïr followed him, before beating the traitor into submission.
- Masun: Enough! I yield, I yield!
- Altaïr: Speak quickly then. I've no interest in your games. Why did you betray us, and who do you serve?
- Masun: We serve the Templars. You should too. Their cause is just.
- Altaïr: We?
- Masun: Jamal. He told me of their plans. Asked me to open the gate.
- Altaïr: You betrayed us. We, who called you brother and kept you safe from harm.
- Masun: I did what I believed was right. And if you must kill me for it, so be it. I am not afraid to die.
- Altaïr: Your fate is not for me to decide. It's Al Mualim who will judge.
Altaïr found Masun and learned of his and Jamal's allegiance to the Templars. After this, Altaïr brought Masun before Al Mualim so that he could plead for his life.