Altaïr came across a herald calling to the people to submit to Jubair, and give up all the written works to be burned. The Assassin saw this as an opportunity to gain more information about his target, and interrogated the herald.
Altaïr approached the stand from which herald was speaking, and listened.
- Herald: Though our fathers dwelled in darkness, and their fathers before them, it does not mean we must as well. This is our chance to begin anew. Let Jubair lead you to revelation, let him lead you into the light. Once, he was a teacher, a false prophet of their lies. But then, the way was made clear to Jubair. He saw what must be done, understood it fell to him, having learned the truth, to spread it. And as he was shown the way, so was I, and I will show you as well. Jubair sees things the way they truly are, sees the poison you carry in your hearts and minds! He works to cast it out! Remove all texts from your homes and schools! Give them to us! They must be destroyed!
Once the herald was finished speaking, Altaïr followed him and beat him up until he yielded.
- Herald: Violence is not the answer, my child!
- Altaïr: In this, we agree. So speak and I may stay my blade. What is it your Master intends? Why destroy all this knowledge?
- Herald: We lay the stones to build a road upon which, soon, all men will travel. It leads to a better tomorrow.
- Altaïr: That is not what I see.
- Herald: Then you are blind. The words upon these parchments, they are poison. Jubair holds the cure, he'll free us from their lies.
- Altaïr: It's nonsense you speak, you've lost your mind.
- Herald: No, not lost but found! I see the world for what it truly is! He has shown me so much! I am illuminated!
- Altaïr: Fanatic is all you are, and dangerous for it.
- Herald: Do what you must, it changes nothing. We are not afraid.
- Altaïr: You should be.
Altaïr then stabbed the herald in the stomach with his Hidden Blade, killing him.
Altaïr learned that Jubair's scholars were destroying all written works in Damascus.