Moving through Acre, Altaïr passed by a herald calling for people to submit themselves into the care of Garnier de Naplouse. The Assassin decided to interrogate the herald for more information about his target.
Altaïr approached the herald and listened to his words for a moment.
- Herald: Soon, my friends; soon the good doctor will attend to your needs! Be patient, hold hope close! There are many in need of aid, and only one of him! He works tirelessly to serve and save, but these things take time!
Once the herald was finished speaking, Altaïr followed him, before beating him up until he gave up the information.
- Herald: Mercy, mercy! Don't kill me, I'll do anything you want!
- Altaïr: You serve Garnier?
- Herald: He... He makes me say these things. To keep the people from revolting. To give them hope and make them eager for his touch.
- Altaïr: Tell me everything you can about the man.
- Herald: Y-yes, of course. I-I know what happens within, what he really does.
- Altaïr: Go on.
- Herald: Not sick, not wounded when they enter. But once he's got his hands on them, then the pain begins.
- Altaïr: He's no healer then. Just a sick, cruel man.
- Herald: I-I don't know what it is he does to make them cry so loud, but it must be stopped before more are made to suffer. Will you stop him?
- Altaïr: It's why you still live.
- Herald: He is cautious. You must pick the proper time. Go to him, when he attends to the patients. He forgets the world around him, becomes lost in his work. Yes! Strike then!
- Altaïr: I thank you for the information.
- Herald: Then you'll let me go?
- Altaïr: Would that I could.
Altaïr then stabbed the herald in the stomach with his Hidden Blade, killing him.
Altaïr discovered that Garnier was not actually treating patients in the hospital, but subjecting them to cruel experiments. He also learned that his query would be completely absorbed in his work while tending to the patients, presenting an opportune time to strike.
- In Assassin's Creed: The Secret Crusade, Altaïr acquires the intel about Garnier experimenting on his patients not by interrogating a herald, but by eavesdropping on a conversation between two Hospitalier guards. The information he learns also differs slightly, as he hears them talk of Garnier having formerly resided in Tyre until he was exiled from the city for his experiments. While they note how Garnier isolates himself in the hospital, neither of them are aware of the true activities inside beyond rumors and supposition, and so Altaïr does not learn from them that Garnier would lower his guard while inspecting his patients.