- Mario: Roma beckons, Ezio. Let me know when you are ready to depart.
Ezio traveled to Rome, and after having made his way up the side of – and through – the Castel Sant'Angelo, prepared to leap onto a horse from a tower.
- Guard 1: Assassino! Assassino! (Assassin! Assassin!)
- Guard 2: Close the gates! Stop the intruder!
- Rodrigo: Credo in unum Deum, Patrem omnipotentem, factorem caeli et terrae, visibilium omnium, et invisibilium. Et in unum Dominum Jesum Christum, Filium Dei unigenitum. Et ex Patre Natum ante omnia saecula. Deum de Deo, lumen de lumine, Deum verum de Deo vero. Genitum, non factum, consubstantialem Patri: per quem omnia facta sunt. Qui propter nos homines, et propter nostram salutem descendit de caelis. Et incarnatus est de Spiritu Sancto ex Maria Virgine: et homo factus est. Cruifixus etiam pro nobis: sub Pontio passus et sepultus est. Et resurrexit tertia die, secundum Scripturas. Et ascendit in caleum: sedet dexteram Patris. Et iterum venturus est cum gloria judicare vivos et mortuos: cujus regni non erit finis. Et in Spiritum Sanctum, Dominum et vivifincatem: qui ex Patre Filioque procedit. Qui cum Patre, et Filio simul adoratur, et conglorificatur: qui locutus est per prophetas. Et unam sanctum catholictam et apostolicam Ecclesiam. Confiteor unum baptisma in remissionem peccatorum. Et exspecto resurrectionem mortuorum. Et vitam venturi saeculi. Amen.
Ezio attempted to assassinate Rodrigo with his Hidden Blade.
- Ezio: I thought... I thought I was beyond this. But I'm not. I've waited too long... lost too much... Requiescat in pace, you bastard.
- Rodrigo: I don't think so!
Rodrigo used the Staff on everyone present, causing all but Ezio to collapse.
- Rodrigo: How is it you resist? I see... Kind of you to bring me the Apple. Now give it here!
- Ezio: Vai a farti fottere. (Go fuck yourself.)
- Rodrigo: Ahh, always the fighter. Just like your father. Well – rejoice, my child – for you will see him again SOON! You WILL give it to me!
- Ezio: As you wish.
Ezio used the artifact to create an illusion of himself splitting into five duplicates.
- Rodrigo: Fascinating! An impressive power, this. But if you think it's going to save you, you've another thing coming!
Ezio defeated Rodrigo in their first fight.
- Rodrigo: No! You will not take this from me...
- Ezio: It's finished, Rodrigo. Lay down your arms and I'll make sure the end comes swiftly.
- Rodrigo: Really, Ezio? And would you give up so easily were it the other way around?
Rodrigo used the Staff, causing Ezio to fall.
- Rodrigo: Why don't we find out!
Rodrigo then utilized the Staff to become invisible. In response, Ezio pulled out the Apple in an attempt to defend himself, but Rodrigo stepped on Ezio's arm, causing him to drop the Piece of Eden.
- Rodrigo: At last!
Rodrigo picked up the Apple and attached it to the Staff.
- Rodrigo: And now to deal with you.
Rodrigo suspended Ezio into the air with the Staff and stabbed him in the stomach with a dagger, before taking the Apple and disappearing. After Ezio recovered from his stab wound, the Assassin made his way down the chapel's secret entrance to the Vault after finding two switches nearby with his sixth sense.
- Ezio: What is this place...?
Ezio dropped down into the antechamber to the Vault.
- Rodrigo: Open, damn you! OPEN!
- Ezio: It's over, Rodrigo. No more tricks. No more ancient artifacts. No more weapons. Let us see what you are made of, old man.
- Rodrigo: Alright then, if that's how you want to play it.
Ezio and Rodrigo engaged in a fist-fight.
- Ezio: What do you even want with the Vault, Rodrigo?
- Rodrigo: Don't you know what lies within? Or do you mean to tell me the great and powerful Assassins didn't figure it out?
- Ezio: Figure what out?
- Rodrigo: God! It's God that dwells within!
- Ezio: You expect me to believe that God lives beneath il Vaticano?
- Rodrigo: A more logical location than a kingdom on a cloud, don't you think? Surrounded by singing angels and cherubim. Makes for a lovely image – but the TRUTH is far more interesting.
- Ezio: Let's say I was to believe you – what do you think he'll do when you open that door?
- Rodrigo: I don't care. It's not approval I'm after. Just power.
- Ezio: And you think he'll give it up?
- Rodrigo: Whatever lies beyond that wall won't be able to resist the staff and apple. They were MADE for felling Gods.
- Ezio: God is meant to be all knowing. All powerful. You think a couple of ancient relics can harm him?
- Rodrigo: You know nothing, boy. You take your image of the creators from an ancient book – a book, mind you, written by MEN.
- Ezio: You are the Pope! And yet you dismiss the central text of your Faith?
- Rodrigo: Are you so naïve? I became Pope because it gave me ACCESS. It gave me POWER. Do you think I believe a single god-damned word of that ridiculous book? It's all lies and superstition. Just like every OTHER religious tract written over the past ten thousand years.
Ezio grabbed Rodrigo by the throat and choked him, before throwing him to the ground.
- Rodrigo: You can't! You can't! It's MY destiny! MINE! I am the prophet!
- Ezio: You never were...
- Rodrigo: Get it over with then.
- Ezio: No. Killing you won't bring my family back... I'm done.
Nulla è reale, tutto è lecito. Requiescat in Pace.
(Nothing is true, everything is permitted. Rest in Peace.)
- Minerva: Greetings prophet. It is good you have come. Let us see it. To give thanks.
Ezio held out the Apple of Eden for Minerva to see, and she touched it in response.
- Minerva: We must speak.
- Ezio: Who are you?
- Minerva: Many names. When I died, it was Minerva. Before that Merva and Mera. And on and on. The others, too: Juno, who was before called Uni. Jupiter, who was before called Tinia...
- Ezio: You are... gods.
- Minerva: No. Not gods. We simply came... before. Even when we walked the world, your kind struggled to understand our existence. We were more... advanced in time. Your minds were not yet ready. Still... not. Maybe never. No matter. You may not comprehend us. But you will comprehend our warning. You must.
- Ezio: None of what you are saying makes sense...
- Minerva: Our words are not meant for you.
Ezio looked around the room as Minerva looked away from him, seemingly at someone else.
- Ezio: What are you talking about? There's no one else here!
- Minerva: Enough! I do not wish to speak with you but through you. You are the prophet. You've played your part. You anchor him, but please be silent! That we may commune.
Ezio remained silent as Minerva disappeared and conveyed the message.
- Minerva: Listen: When we were still flesh and our home still whole, your kind betrayed us. We who made you. We, who gave you life! We were strong. But you were many. And both of us craved war. So busy were we with earthly concerns, we failed to notice the heavens. And by the time we did... The world burned until naught remained but ash. It should have ended then and there. But we built you in our own image. We built you to survive. And so we did. Few were our numbers. Your kind and mine. It took sacrifice. Strength. Compassion. But we rebuilt. And as life returned to the world... We endeavored to ensure this tragedy would not be repeated. But now we are dying... And time will work against us. Truth turned into myth and legend. What we built, misunderstood. Let my words preserve the message and make a record of our loss. But let my words also bring hope. You must find the other temples. Built by those who knew to turn away from war. They worked to protect us – to save us from the fire. If you can find them... If their work can be saved... so too might this world. Be quick! For time grows short. And guard against the cross – for there are many who will stand in your way.
Minerva appeared before Ezio once again.
- Minerva: It is done. The message is delivered. We are gone now from this world. All of us. We can do no more. The rest is up to you, Desmond.
- Ezio: What? Who is Desmond? I don't understand... Please, wait! I have so many questions!
Minerva disappeared, leaving Ezio in the Vault.
Rodrigo Borgia was spared, Ezio spoke to Minerva in the Vault and learned of her people, along with a great tragedy that would befall mankind being revealed to him. In response to the message, Ezio was left with many questions unanswered as the hologram disappeared.
- "In bocca al lupo" means "Into the mouth of a wolf," which is an Italian saying for good luck, being the equivalent of "break a leg." The traditional response is "crepi il lupo", or "may the wolf die"; Crepi il Lupo is a mission in Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood.
- When Ezio entered the Sistine Chapel, Rodrigo was proclaiming the Nicene Creed in Latin to the congregation. Ironically, he later stated that he did not believe the concept of the Nicene Creed, which confesses the wholeness of the Roman Catholic doctrine.
- When Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood picked up from where Assassin's Creed II left off, with Ezio just having talked with Minerva, Ezio had a more ornate cape, rather than a plain brown one seen in Assassin's Creed II, and was wearing the armor of Altaïr Ibn-La'Ahad. He also had his weapons by his side, despite the fact that he had never picked them up after fighting Rodrigo.
- Even though Ezio had the Apple taken from him, he still had the pouch which held it by his side while battling Rodrigo.