Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Kanièn:keh, Iroquois Confederacy
4 October 1769
After having collected the required feathers and on tutoring Kanen'tó:kon on how to climb and traverse the trees, Ratonhnhaké:ton moved on to teach him how to stalk and hunt different types of animals.
- Kanen'tó:kon: Are you ready?
Is it time to go?
Should we move on?
Hope you have better luck than I did!
Don't be too long!
Can we go home now?
- Ratonhnhaké:ton: No. We still have meat and skins to collect.
- Kanen'tó:kon: I've never been a very good hunter. And don't say it's because I'm fat.
- Ratonhnhaké:ton: I will teach you. There is a place close to the village rich with game. We will hunt there.
The two started towards the hunting area.
- Ratonhnhaké:ton: The shot must be quick. The kill clean. This rabbit is a gift. We must return nature's kindness with our own.
Ratonhnhaké:ton shot the rabbit with his bow.
- Ratonhnhaké:ton: Take the time to aim. A missed shot will startle your prey and end the hunt.
- Kanen'tó:kon: A perfect shot!
- Ratonhnhaké:ton: Now to skin it.
Ratonhnhaké:ton skinned the rabbit.
- Ratonhnhaké:ton: Quick cuts. Steady and certain. It's not just the meat we want - but the skin as well. To act in haste will spoil the bounty.
Now I'll show you how to use a snare. First we must find a place where animals are likely to gather – a burrow, a feeding spot, a watering hole. Look for signs of recent activity.
Ratonhnhaké:ton found traces of a rabbit by a flower.
- Ratonhnhaké:ton: See? There was a rabbit here recently.
This is a good place to set a snare.
Ratonhnhaké:ton set a snare near a tree.
- Ratonhnhaké:ton: Let us set another.
Set your snare here.
- Kanen'tó:kon: Like this?
- Ratonhnhaké:ton: Well done. Let us try for bigger game while we wait.
They then began to track a deer in the area.
- Kanen'tó:kon: There's one! Draw your bow!
- Ratonhnhaké:ton: No. Arrows and musket shot will ruin the hide. This one I'll take with my hands. I must move carefully. If the deer sees us, she will flee. Watch...
Ratonhnhaké:ton moved towards the deer through some bushes.
- Ratonhnhaké:ton: I will need to draw her in with bait...
Ratonhnhaké:ton threw some bait near the bushes, allowing him to strike the deer with his tomahawk as it approached.
- Kanen'tó:kon: A clean kill! Well done.
- Ratonhnhaké:ton: Now to collect our bounty.
Ratonhnhaké:ton skinned the deer.
- Ratonhnhaké:ton: We should check the snares.
The pair made their way back to the snares and collected their prey.
- Ratonhnhaké:ton: We need more, but time is short. Both of us must hunt if we're to finish.
- Kanen'tó:kon: I don't know...
- Ratonhnhaké:ton: I've faith in you. Have some in yourself.
Ratonhnhaké:ton jokingly patted Kanen'tó:kon on the stomach. The two then separated to fulfill their hunting quotas.
- Ratonhnhaké:ton: I should return.
Having finished, Ratonhnhaké:ton went to find his friend. On spotting Kanen'tó:kon, something seemed to be amiss.
- Ratonhnhaké:ton: Kanen'tó:kon? What happened? Damn.
Kanen'tó:kon hastily ran by, followed by a bear. In a moment of panic, Ratonhnhaké:ton managed to dodge the wild animal and escape, meeting with Kanen'tó:kon again near to the village.
- Kanen'tó:kon: I... I was so... You saved my life. Thank you!
- Ratonhnhaké:ton: We should get back. Hopefully the others will understand why our bounty is thin.
- Kanen'tó:kon: But it's not!
Kanen'tó:kon held up a bundle of hares, signifying a bountiful hunt.
- Ratonhnhaké:ton: How?
- Kanen'tó:kon: I had a good teacher.
Kanen'tó:kon was taught how to hunt wild animals, and after a run-in with an angry bear, both he and Ratonhnhaké:ton returned to their village safely with the meat and skins they required.
- Peculiarly, Ratonhnhaké:ton mentions that firing an arrow at a deer would ruin its pelt when the animal is skinned, though this is false.