Hilary Flint (1682 – 1717) was an English Templar, descended from an aristocratic family. Recruited into the Order as a young adult with an interest in explosives, he eventually rose to become an esteemed member that was assigned a Templar key to protect.
In 2013, his genetic memories were used as an Animi Avatar by the entertainment branch of the Templar company Abstergo Industries, to influence the general public via the Animus game console, under the title of the Navigator.
The third born son to an aristocratic line, Hilary quickly became the black sheep of his family. In response, he sought solitude in his studies, immersing himself in math and science. This led Hilary to discover a particular interest in explosives, earning him the label of "problem child".
Hilary was sent off to a military school as a teenager by his parents, in the hopes that his peculiar extracurricular interests might be molded into a more socially acceptable form. Thanks to his easygoing personality, he soon found a home within the school's many clubs, as well as a few secret societies. After graduation, Hilary's connections earned him a place among the Templars, his obsession with explosives making him an asset.
Arms race against Rhona Dinsmore
In July 1715, Grand Master Laureano de Torres y Ayala received a map, delivered to him by Edward Kenway, detailing various Assassin encampments in the West Indies. Hilary, along with a few other elite Templars, were assigned the task of locating the encampments' leaders and eliminating them. This led him to Havana, where he stationed himself with a squadron of soldiers and began a feud with the local bureau leader, Rhona Dinsmore.
On one occasion when Flint attacked her at the Havana bureau, Edward Kenway arrived and assisted her in defending against the attack. When Flint's force was neutralized, Edward revealed that he had brought danger upon Rhona by selling a map with her location to the Templar Grand Master Laureano de Torres y Ayala, and that Flint bore a key that Edward desired. They then began working together to undermine and assassinate Flint.
After some investigations, they discovered that Hilary was running an arms race against the Assassins, having several stores of gunpowder hidden throughout the city. Edward destroyed these to weaken Flint's position, after which they decided to assassinate him.
Rhona engaged Hilary in combat, taunting him as she did so, allowing Edward to circle around and assassinate Flint from behind. With his final words, Hilary expressed his regrets over the fact that he and Rhona could never fight together.
- Hilary is derived via Latin hilaris from Greek ‘Ιλαρος (hilaros), meaning "cheerful". The surname Flint referred to those who lived near a significant outcrop of flint - a material that could be used to ignite fire or gunpowder. It could also be used as a nickname for a hard-hearted or physically tough individual.
- His multiplayer database entry misspells his name as Hillary Flint.
- It is strongly implied that he and Rhona Dinsmore were romantically attracted to each other, but chose to serve their respective causes and forgo any relationship with a member of the opposing group.
- In 2015, his name was on a list of known British Templars used by the Templar Isabelle Ardant.
- Flint is the only key holder whose key is not removed from his body by Edward; it is instead taken by Rhona who then gives it to Edward.