- Jacob: "Pleasure to meet you, "B"."
- Herbert: ""B"? My name's Herbert!"
- Jacob: "Then why are you following the Prime Minister?"
- Herbert: "It's just a job, sir. Some old bloke paid me to-"
- —Jacob Frye to Herbert moments before the latter's death, 1868[src]
Employed by Lord Cardigan, he was sent to spy on a meeting between Benjamin Disraeli and William Gladstone. After the meeting, he was followed by the Assassin Jacob Frye, who believed him to be the mysterious "B" who was planning to assassinate the prime minister.
Herbert revealed that he was just carrying out a task, but before he could tell Jacob who his employer was, he was shot by a Blighter from a nearby rooftop.