Altaïr returned to Masyaf to report the failure of his mission to Solomon's Temple to his Master, Rashid ad-Din Sinan, and was greeted by Rauf shortly after his arrival. As the Assassin made his way through the village, he encountered another of the Brotherhood, Abbas Sofian, by the castle gates. After a brief exchange of snide remarks between the two, Altaïr carried on towards the Masyaf castle.
Altaïr escaped Solomon's Temple, and upon his return to Masyaf, he was greeted by a fellow Assassin, Rauf.
- Rauf: Altaïr! You've returned!
- Altaïr: Rauf.
- Rauf: It is good to see you unharmed. I trust your mission was a success?
- Altaïr: Is the Master in his tower?
- Rauf: Yes, yes; buried in his books as always. No doubt he expects you.
- Altaïr: My thanks, Brother.
- Rauf: Safety and peace, Altaïr.
- Altaïr: On you as well.
Altaïr walked through the village, until he reached the Assassin fortress. There, Abbas greeted him by the inner gate.
- Abbas: Ah. He returns at last.
- Altaïr: Abbas.
- Abbas: Where are the others? Did you ride ahead hoping to be the first one back? I know you are loathe to share the glory.
Altaïr did not reply, and a moment of silence followed.
- Abbas: Silence is just another form of assent.
- Altaïr: Have you nothing better to do?
- Abbas: I bring word from the Master. He waits for you in the library. Best hurry. No doubt you're eager to put your tongue to his boot.
- Altaïr: Another word and I'll put my blade to your throat.
- Abbas: There will be plenty of time for that later, "Brother."
Altaïr entered the fortress and made his way inside, eventually reaching the Master's study.
- Al Mualim: Altaïr.
- Altaïr: Master.
- Al Mualim: Come forward. Tell me of your mission. I trust you have recovered the Templars' treasure?
- Altaïr: There was some trouble, Master. Robert de Sablé was not alone.
- Al Mualim: When does our work ever go as expected? It's our ability to adapt that makes us who we are.
- Altaïr: This time it was not enough.
- Al Mualim: What do you mean?
- Altaïr: I have failed you.
- Al Mualim: The treasure?
- Altaïr: Lost to us.
- Al Mualim: And Robert?
- Altaïr: Escaped.
- Al Mualim: I send you, my best man, to complete a mission more important than any that has come before. And you return to me with nothing but apologies and excuses?!
- Altaïr: I did–
- Al Mualim: Do not speak! Not another word! This is not what I expected. We'll need to mount another force.
- Altaïr: I swear to you, I'll find him. I'll go and–
- Al Mualim: No! You'll do nothing! You've done enough! Where are Malik and Kadar?
- Altaïr: Dead.
Unexpectedly, Malik entered the study in that moment, clutching his left arm and appearing heavily wounded.
- Malik: No! Not dead!
- Al Mualim: Malik!
- Malik: I still live at least!
- Al Mualim: And your brother?
- Malik: Gone. Because of you!
Malik pointed at Altaïr, and the two began to argue.
- Altaïr: Robert threw me from the room! There was no way back, nothing I could do.
- Malik: Because you would not heed my warning! All of this could have been avoided! And my brother... my brother would still be alive! Your arrogance nearly cost us victory today.
- Al Mualim: "Nearly"?
- Malik: I brought what your favorite failed to find. Here, take it.
A lower ranked Assassin entered the study, carrying the treasure.
- Malik: Though it seems I have returned with more than just their treasure.
Another lower ranked Assassin entered the study, bringing information about the Templar attack on the village.
- Assassin: Master! We are under attack! Robert de Sablé lays siege to Masyaf's village!
- Al Mualim: So he seeks a battle! Very well, I'll not deny him. Go, inform the others. The fortress must be prepared. As for you, Altaïr, our discussion will have to wait. You must make for the village. Destroy these invaders. Drive them from our home!
- Altaïr: It will be done.
Altaïr reported his failure to Al Mualim, much to his Master's disapproval. Accompanying this, Malik survived the battle in Solomon's Temple and managed to recover the Templar treasure, bringing it to Al Mualim alongside news of Robert's impending attack. Shortly after, the Defense of Masyaf unfolded.