Edward drinks himself into a stupor, dreaming of acquiring his prize.
After suffering the loss of Mary Read, Edward tried to drown his sorrows, which resulted in a disturbing dream.
- Barkeeper: More?
- Edward: Bring a bottle.
- Barkeeper: I'd see some colour first.
- Roberts: Will this do?
- Roberts: In all your years out here, you could never achieve what I have done in one-fifth the time. Because you are a good man, Edward. See? Goodness is your disease...
- Edward: That's my prize, Roberts. Give it here!
- Roberts: Remember my creed, boy? A short life and a merry one. That is all. The world owes us nothing more than this. So take what you will, and then die before you live to see yourself made a fool.
- Edward: Give it here!
- Roberts: That's right, boy! Take it!
- Edward: I'll sweeten you, maggot! I'll cut you down!
Edward swung his bottle at Roberts only to fall, and found himself on a beach, amongst his former comrades.
- Roberts: Calm... little puppy. And slink back to your kennel. You haven't the mettle for my brand of madness.
- Edward: Roberts!
- Hornigold: Welcome aboard, Kenway! It's prizes, plunder and adventure ahead. Are you game?
- Edward: Outta my way, Ben.
- Thatch: Raise a glass to freedom, lads! Here's to gentlemen of fortune and women of leisure!
- Mary: To a world full of rogues better than all the kings and queens that kick us about!
- Roberts: As gentlemen of fortune we enjoy plenty and satisfaction, pleasure and ease, liberty and power... What man with a sensible mind would choose the former life? For I have dipped my hands in muddied waters, and withdrawing them find 'tis better to be a commander than a common man!
Edward found himself underwater, among the bodies of sailors from the ship battle above. When he reached the surface, he found himself in Havana.
- Rogers: Aesop once wrote of an eagle, soaring high above a shepherd's field, that swooped down on powerful wings to seize a grazing lamb and carry it off to her nest. Flying close by, a jackdaw saw the deed, and it filled his head with the idea that he too was just as strong and capable. So with a great flapping and rustling of feathers, the jackdaw came down swiftly and clutched at the coat of a large ram. But when he tried to fly away, he found he could not lift the animal, for his size and strength were not up to the task. And even as the jackdaw struggled, the ram hardly noticed he was there. Nearby, just across the field, the shepherd saw the fluttering bird and was quite amused. Running up, he captured the jackdaw and clipped its wings. That evening he gave the jackdaw to his children as a gift. "What an odd little bird this is, father!" they laughed and shouted. "What do you call him?" "This is a jackdaw," the father said. "But if you should ask him, he would claim to be an eagle."
- Caroline: No more than two years! You promised me-
- Edward: You left! When I needed you the most.
- Caroline: But you had me! What keeps you wandering? Do I not make you happy?
- Edward: I'm so close, Caroline! Please! Just let me do this!
Mary appeared in Caroline's place.
- Mary: Is everything you do out of spite, Edward?
- Edward: It's not spite that's driving me Mary. It's courage!
- Mary: Courage for what, man? There's no one left in your life to care!
- Edward: God damn you all! I can handle this!
- Mary: You lout! Always tearing down when you could be building things up. Or building yourself up, if nothing else!
- Edward: Just leave me be!
- Mary: Change course, Edward! Change your bloody course before it's too late!
Edward crashed the ship into a rocky island, ending the dream. Adéwalé woke Edward up on the beach.
- Adéwalé: Captain Kenway. You look like a bowl of plum duff.
- Edward: Christ. I've got a head for ten.
- Adéwalé: On your feet.
- Edward: You put me on a spot, Adé. After you leaving me with Roberts, I should have hard feelings about seeing you here. But mostly, I'm bloody glad.
- Adéwalé: Me too, breddah. And you'll be chuffed to know your Jackdaw is still in one piece.
- Edward: Shall we set sail for- You're leaving?
- Adéwalé: Aye, Edward. For I've another calling elsewhere.
- Edward: Adé, listen...
- Adéwalé: When your heart and your head are ready, visit the Assassins. I think you'll understand then...
Edward started to gain a new outlook on life, and made plans to set sail for Tulum.