- "It's nice to be a part of something. Until now I was sort of drifting about the neighborhood getting irate when I saw things unjust. Sometimes I'd intervene, other times I would come here. Now I feel like all my energy is pointed at something."
- ―Deborah to Connor.[src]
Deborah "Dobby" Carter (1736 - unknown) was a member of the Colonial Brotherhood of Assassins in the latter part of the 18th century, who was recruited into the Assassin Order by Ratonhnhaké:ton in the Northern District of the colony of New York. Before having come into contact with the Assassins, Deborah worked as a courier and fought to help the poor.
On recruiting Carter, it allowed Connor to use his Assassin recruits to lure away selected guards whenever they were available.
Deborah Carter was born to Amos Carter, a local merchant in New York who came into heavy debt. To this, Deborah turned to the streets at the age of ten, becoming an errand-runner and disguising herself as a boy to allow her to do so, taking on the nickname, "Dobby".
However, as a teenager, she had to drop her disguise since her body's growth had foiled it, though she kept her alias of "Dobby" and continued with her errand work, while also negotiating contracts between businesses. Accompanying this, Carter was known for looking out for the poor, often fighting merchants to ensure that they were not charging exorbitant prices.
She met Connor in the northern end of New York, where a famine had been affecting the population. As Connor aided the citizens, she went on to discover that a Templar merchant had been hoarding provisions, causing the famine. With her help, Connor assassinated the merchant, and she joined the his cause afterwards.
Later, while resting between contracts at a tavern, Connor exchanged friendly banter with Carter. When she asked him what he planned to do "after it was all over", he mentioned the possibility of settling down and having a family, to which Deborah asked him to give her the first chance, prompting Connor to agree.
In 1781, Carter, alongside Stephane Chapheau, Duncan Little and Jacob Zenger, helped the Marquis de Lafayette clear the tunnels to New York's militarized district, as part of Connor's plot to infiltrate Fort George and assassinate Charles Lee.
- The ability Carter provided on being recruited mimicked that of hired thieves in previous games.
- Despite wearing a traditional Assassin hood in both concept art and the Animus database, it does not appear on her character model whenever Connor signaled for her assistance.
- In combat, Deborah wielded small weapons.
- Carter will not appear in the tunnels if Connor has not recruited her.