- "You are meddling in affairs far outside your understanding."
- ―Cyril to Ezio's pupil.[src]
|Cyril of Rhodes|
Cyril of Rhodes was a member of the Templar Order, formerly associated with the Eastern Orthodox Church.
After being publicly shamed and humiliated by the Patriarch of Constantinople for "actions unbecoming the Eastern Orthodox Faith," Cyril spent a decade plotting revenge against his former masters.
No longer a believer in the doctrine that he once espoused so passionately, he used his nominal position in the church to erode it from within, in order to further the Templars' ideology.
Since they did not know of Cyril's identity, the pair both began their search to find out who he was, eventually coming across a member of the church that Cyril was a part of. Once the man told them about Cyril, Ezio carried on looking for the deacon, eventually narrowing it down to a group of three different men standing in a square.
However, since they all looked alike, Ezio attempted to use his Eagle Sense to locate Cyril from the other two similarly dressed individuals. It was too late, however, as his Apprentice had acted in haste, already striking the wrong man and giving Cyril the chance to escape with his life intact.
- "Is it any wonder that I should turn to men with more honor, more courage, and more vision? I regret nothing."
- ―Cyril at death.[src]
Once his Apprentice had gained sufficient experience, Ezio continued to track Cyril with them once more, using his gift to follow Cyril's tracks after they had found the body of their informant from before, who the Templar had killed to silence them.
Finally spotting him consorting with civilians, Ezio decided that his apprentice needed to create a diversion so that he could follow Cyril unnoticed. Following his orders, they ran up and stole Cyril's pouch, starting a chase between the two, with Ezio following closely behind.
The apprentice led Cyril to a small balconied area near to the city's Thieves Guild, where they revealed themself to be an Assassin. With anger in his voice, Cyril proclaimed that he would not let an Assassin stop him from achieving his goal and attempted to fight off the apprentice, but Ezio was quick to kill the man with his Hidden Blade before he could harm anyone else.
- Cyril: What do you hope to hear, Assassin? That I regret my associations? Never. Rome abandoned us in our time of need, the west turned a blind eye to the Ottoman juggernaut. Is it any wonder that I should turn to men with more honor, more courage, and more vision? I regret nothing.
- Ezio: Requiescat in pace (Rest in peace).
- Cyril is a name derived from the Greek word kyrios, meaning "lord."