- "In the name of liberty, I will fight the enemy regardless of their allegiance. While men of courage write history of this day, the future of our land depends on those who are truly free."
- ―Connor Kenway.[src]
Ratonhnhaké:ton, also known as Connor Kenway, was an Assassin of Native American and British descent living in colonial America during the latter half of the 18th century. He was also an ancestor of Desmond Miles.
- "On this land, I am torn. Part of me wants to fight and repel all outsiders. The other part of me is the outsider."
- ―Connor reflecting on his parentage.[src]
Born to a British father and Mohawk mother, Ratonhnhaké:ton was raised among his mother's tribe. He suffered severely during his childhood, largely from the tribe's encounters with European colonists; a conflict that reached its peak when his village was destroyed by a colonial force.
This event prompted him to seek justice for his people and fight tyranny wherever he saw it. His endeavors eventually led to him joining the Assassin Order in 1770, as well as adopting the name "Connor" in order to more easily move through colonial circles.
Five years later, the American Revolutionary War erupted, and Connor found himself siding with the leaders of the American revolution, namely George Washington and Benjamin Franklin, partially due to his belief in the ideals that they represented.
Equipment and skills
Connor was a capable free-runner, able to climb trees and swing from one to another, as well as scale cliff faces or other natural elements. He could move through the cityscape just as easily, and was able to slide under or vault over obstacles within urban environments.
Accompanying his capacity to move fluidly, Connor was able to wield several different weapons – including a tomahawk, bow, flintlock pistols, rifle, rope darts, and Hidden Blades – and could dual-wield various combinations of them. Connor also possessed a rare extra-sensory ability known as Eagle Sense.
Connor was most often garbed in a hooded white dress uniform jacket with blue lining, as well as a thin red sash fastened with an Assassin insignia, and brown boots with leggings that extended past his knees. During his voyages on the Aquila, Connor wore a blue dress uniform and tricorne hat.
Personality and characteristics
- "[Connor]'s one of those people that has an inbuilt sense of right and wrong… He isn't a grey area kind of guy."
- ―Alex Hutchinson, Creative Director of Assassin's Creed III.
Connor appeared thoughtful and intense, and the words he did not speak were just as meaningful as the ones he did. His movements resembled those of a predator, always staying low to the ground and moving under enemy attacks.
He strongly believed in defending both his Native American heritage and country from European involvement, who he considered to be "outsiders." However, he also recognized the fact that, due to his parentage, he was a part of the problem that he sought to solve.
- Contrary to several known Assassins (including Aquilus, Altaïr Ibn-La'Ahad, Ezio Auditore da Firenze, Aveline de Grandpré, and Nikolai Orelov) who possessed connections to eagles, Connor was more closely likened to a wolf.
- As with both Altaïr and Ezio, the meaning of Connor's name connected to his character:
- "Connor" is a Gaelic name meaning "lover of wolves" or "lover of hounds."
- "Kenway" is an Old English name meaning "brave royal fighter."
- "Ratonhnhaké:ton" (pronounced Ra-doon-ha-kay-doon) is a Mohawk name meaning "life that is scratched"; referring to a struggle to survive.
- Since every Mohawk name is unique, at the advice of their Mohawk cultural consultant, Ubisoft agreed not to trademark the name "Ratonhnhaké:ton".
- Unlike some of Desmond's other ancestors, Connor had no scar on his lip, similar to Aquilus.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6 GameInformer April 2012 issue: Assassin's Creed III
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 XboxGameZone: Preview - Assassin’s Creed III - The Final Frontier?
- ↑ AT7ADDAK: The Assassin’s Creed III Diary – Part Three
- ↑ GamesRadar: First look at the Revolution through Connor's eyes
- ↑ Assassin's Creed III Naval Battle Demo
- ↑ Game Rant: Assassin's Creed 3 New Screenshots & Gameplay Details
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 Assassin's Creed III World Gameplay Premiere
- ↑ Ubisoft Facebook: 2012 Gamescom - Devs' Q&A - Assassin's Creed III
- ↑ AusGamers: Assassin's Creed 3 Alex Hutchinson Developer Interview
- ↑ AssassinsCreedUK: Inside Assassin's Creed III Episode One
- ↑ TIME: Assassin's Creed III's Connor: How Ubisoft Avoided Stereotypes and Made a Real Character