While Ezio Auditore was out rescuing Caterina Sforza's children, the Templars attacked the Rocca di Ravaldino for a second time, and Checco Orsi was successful in retrieving the Apple of Eden. Ezio then set out to kill Checco and retrieve the Piece of Eden.
Ezio returned to the Rocca di Ravaldino, where Caterina had reunited with her children.
- Ezio: What are you doing out here?
- Caterina: I'm so sorry, Ezio. I'm so sorry.
- Ezio: What happened?
- Caterina: It was a trick. To lower our defenses.
- Machiavelli: As soon as you left, they attacked again. Checco Orsi - he has the Apple!
- Ezio: WHAT!? No! Where is he!?
- Machiavelli: We chased him out here. But the bastard's escaped to the mountains--
- Ezio: I'm going!
Ezio found and assassinated Checco Orsi.
- Checco: So... you have your prize again.
Ezio retrieved the Apple of Eden.
- Ezio: Was it worth it? So much bloodshed?
- Checco: A prize of such value, it will not remain yours for long.
- Ezio: We shall see.
Ezio stabbed Checco in the throat with the Hidden Blade, killing him.
- Ezio: Che miserie nascono dall'avidità. (What wretched things are born of greed.) Requiescat in pace. (Rest in peace.)
Ezio was stabbed by Checco, and collapsed. Just before he passed out, a monk with a missing finger picked up the Apple that had slipped from his grasp.
- Ezio: Wait.. Don't... Who are you? Stop... Don't open it...
Ezio passed out.
Ezio woke up in a bed. Caterina was sitting beside him.
- Caterina: Ezio! Thank God, you're back with us. Are you all right? What happened to you?
- Ezio: I... I don't know...
- Caterina: One of my guards had the luck to find you in the hills, next to Checco Orsi's dead body.
- Ezio: Sì (Yes)... I remember... Wait... There was a third man... He took the Apple!
- Caterina: Who?
- Ezio: He wore a black robe. Like a monk... And I think... a missing finger? Sì! (Yes) Caterina, I have to go - right away!
- Caterina: Of course. Then you will need this as well.
Caterina handed Ezio the map for the Codex pages.
- Ezio: The map Niccolò spoke of. Your husband's--
- Caterina: EX-husband, mio caro (my darling). He swore he'd uncovered the locations of all the Codex pages. You will recover the Apple, but you'll never find the Vault without this.
You know, there is an Abbey here, where I've seen monks wearing black robes. I'd start there. Now, go. Find us a stramaledetto (fucking) monk.
- Ezio: I think I'm going to miss you, Caterina.
- Caterina: Oh, I know you will.
Ezio successfully assassinated Checco Orsi, but was stabbed by him. Before losing consciousness from the wound, Ezio witnessed a monk with a missing finger steal the Apple.
After he recovered from his wounds, Ezio received the Codex map from Caterina, and left to seek out the monk.