|Catacombe di Roma|
A mass burial site located underground.
2nd century C.E.
The Catacombe di Roma (English: Catacombs of Rome) was one of the Lairs of Romulus. It was located under the city of Rome, and built in the 2nd century, as Christianity was illegal at the time they built these catacombs as they needed more space to secretly bury their dead. The entrance to the catacombs was located right next to the Piramide Cestia.
The catacombs were made up of several winding, maze-like tunnels, and the entrance to the Shrine of Romulus was cut into the wall of a presumably bottomless hole, requiring Ezio to drop down and grasp the wall to enter it. Near the end of the catacombs, Ezio was attacked by several Followers of Romulus, but they were easily dispatched. Upon reaching the shrine, Ezio took the key and scroll of Romulus within it.
- This particular Lair of Romulus must be completed within 8 minutes to achieve full synchronization.
- Should the player ever come to a fork in their path, scanning the wall in Eagle Vision would reveal an arrow pointing in the right direction.
- Alternately, the flames of each torch on the wall are also blowing towards the path leading to the exit.
- If the player scanned the large cathedral near the entrance with Eagle Vision they could see two of the many cryptic messages that Subject 16 left on the floors of Abstergo, albeit partly obscured by objects in the room. One was the word puzzle that says: "Artefacts sent to the skies to control all nations to make us obey a hidden crusade; do not help them." The other was the pyramid of Eden with the Apple on top.
- There were several spots throughout the catacombs where you could see the Followers of Romulus running through the catacombs. You could see their shadows in the torchlight, and they'd run down paths and disappear, etc.