- "Don't slay the messenger, good Lord. Have my pouch instead."
- ―A Borgia messenger, upon being caught.[src]
Borgia Messengers, also known as Borgia Couriers, were messengers for the House of Borgia. They always carried a significant amount of florins with them, likely delivering payment to or from allies of the Borgia.
Fast traveling through the tunnels from Tiber Island to the Thieves Guild would cause a messenger to appear, usually within a minute by simply looking out to the road, every time coming from the left side of the road.
He might sometimes also appear behind you, climbing on the guild building, which could be identified by the sound of footsteps on the tile roof. Repeating this process enabled the "farming" of messengers to obtain florins or shop quest items, such as the semi-rare item Aconite.
Back at Tiber Island, a messenger would also appear at the entrance to the guild by looking right. After around a minute, a messenger would run past.
- In Assassin's Creed II, killing a messenger will raise notoriety by 50%. In Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood, killing one will raise it up to 100%.
- Perotto Calderon posed as a Borgia messenger while working as a spy for the Assassins.
- The usual amount of money gained from a messenger (1503 florins) is also the recorded year of Rodrigo Borgia's death.
- During Ezio's time in Rome, the frequency of Borgia messengers reduces dramatically as the city is rebuilt.
- Archers will run after the messenger if he climbs onto a rooftop during a chase, even though the messenger will call out to the same guards for help.
- It is possible to trip or shove messengers off buildings to their deaths without being penalized, although throwing them into water will have repercussions.
- Ezio's notoriety will not increase if an Assassin apprentice is used to kill a messenger. However, using arrow storm will raise Ezio's notoriety to 100%.
- In Assassin's Creed II, hurling a throwing knife at a messenger will cause the courier to automatically stop and give you his money. However, in Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood, the knife will instantly kill the messenger, and your notoriety will raise to 100% as normal.
- In Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood, Borgia Messengers glow red when viewed in Eagle Vision.
- In Assassin's Creed: Revelations, Borgia messengers are replaced with Templar Tax Collectors.
- In Assassin's Creed III and Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag, messengers were replaced with couriers, who held both money and ammunition.