In Assassin's Creed III, several outfits were available to those who completed certain challenges or met specific criteria, which are listed below. Once an outfit was unlocked and equipped, it would alter the Assassin Ratonhnhaké:ton's appearance. However, unlike armor, most of these costumes did not affect any other gameplay elements.
As Ratonhnhaké:ton's regular robes, his Assassin outfit was unlocked upon the completion of DNA Sequence 5. The Assassin outfit could also be dyed at general stores in various color schemes.
Animal Spirit outfit
Ratonhnhaké:ton's outfit made from bearskin, eagle feathers, and wolf pelt. It could only be used in The Tyranny of King Washington downloadable content.
Achilles' original outfit
Captain of the Aquila uniform
The Captain of the Aquila outfit was a captain's uniform worn by Ratonhnhaké:ton. Although similar in appearance to the default outfit worn when on board the Aquila, it differed in that it was more formal in appearance, and possessed slight alterations.
It could be unlocked for use in free-roam by purchasing the Digital Deluxe Edition of Assassin's Creed III, by pre-ordering the game at Amazon, or by purchasing The Hidden Secrets Pack.
Captain Kidd's robes
Unlocked through Uplay for 30 points, Ezio Auditore da Firenze's Roman Assassin robes, worn during the events of Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood, were available from the outfit rack in the basement of the Davenport Homestead's manor.
The Prisoner clothes were automatically unlocked after the assassination of Thomas Hickey.
Colonial Assassin outfit
The Colonial Assassin outfit was previously owned by the Assassin John de la Tour. It could be unlocked for use in free-roam by purchasing the Digital Deluxe Edition of Assassin's Creed III, by pre-ordering the game at either Target or Play.com, or by purchasing The Hidden Secrets Pack.
Haytham Kenway's outfit
Worn by Haytham Kenway during memory DNA sequences 1 through 3.
Worn by Ratonhnhaké:ton while in command of the Aquila during the Naval memories.
Worn by Ratonhnhaké:ton as a disguise during The Foam and the Flames memory.
- Ratonhnhaké:ton's robes always appeared in their default color during cutscenes, even if the outfit was sporting a colony's dye; the fact that the lower trim of the outfit would show its dyed color instead indicates that this is an unintentional programming error. In a Q&A session, Ubisoft stated that the problem was deep within the AnvilNext engine, and that rectifying it would be too difficult given the fact that the game had been finished. Non-default outfits would show properly during cutscenes however.
- Regardless of the equipped outfit, Ratonhnhaké:ton always wore his Aquila uniform during naval missions.
- Unlike the bow, the quiver that contained Ratonhnhaké:ton's arrows did not show on any other outfit other than his Assassin robes. However, during the interactive Animus loading screens, the quiver would be present.
- Ezio's robes lacked a bracer on the right arm, despite the Hidden Blade extending from the outfit's sleeve.
- The original concept of the Colonial Assassin outfit was quite similar to Ratonhnhaké:ton's default attire, with a cloak and the outfit's primary color displaying some of the notable differences.
- The original concept of the Captain of the Aquila outfit had Ratonhnhaké:ton with its tricorn hat above his hood.
- Achilles' original outfit was previously owned by the Assassin John de la Tour, who then passed it down to Achilles.
- During an interactive conversation between Connor and Achilles about John de la Tour's robes, Achilles mentioned it as "armor", although it never provided protection nor any additional gameplay changes.
- The Captain of the Aquila and Captain Kidd outfits showed double holsters for flintlock pistols. However, Ratonhnhaké:ton could not use them if the double holsters hadn't been crafted through the accounting book at the Davenport Homestead or general stores.
- While Connor wore the Colonial Assassin, the Captain Kidd, or the Captain of the Aquila outfit, he would still attempt to pull up his hood, even though he was wearing a hat.
- Altaïr's robes appeared the same as in Assassin's Creed: Revelations, rather than as seen in the previous installments. The robes' trims also lacked physics, and moved along with Connor's legs, rather than flowing freely during movement. The fingerless gloves were not present when Connor equipped the robes.
- Equipping the Kanien'kehá:ka outfit during Sequence 5 caused Ratonhnhaké:ton's facial structure to change, with hair tied into a ponytail and complexion of his adult self. Two Hidden Blades were also visible on the outfit, but not usable until the River Rescue memory.
- If an outfit other than the Assassin outfit was worn while playing Sequence 11 to 12, during the cinematics in which Connor had his hood down, he would appear to have a buzz cut, as opposed to the mohawk that he would have while wearing the Assassin outfit.