- This article is about the novel. You may be looking for the game it is based on.
It's the Golden Age of Piracy – a time when greed, ambition and corruption overcome all loyalties – and a brash young captain, Edward Kenway, is making his name known for being one of the greatest pirates of his time.
In the brilliant new novel, Assassin’s Creed: Black Flag, discover the story of how Edward, a young privateer, became one of the world's most deadly pirates and was drawn into the centuries-old battle between the Templars and the Assassins.
1- (1719 or thereabouts) Due to the Jackdaw's need for a proper cook, Edward and the crew hunted down a brig known for its famous cook. He eventually found him and discovered he had cut off his nose during the fight.
2- (1711) Edward retold his days as a young sheep-farmer and an occasional drinker in Bristol's taverns. Despite his father and mother's successful sheep business, Edward preferred to spend his time drinking. And this usually led to him commiting to violence.
3- One day in the Auld Shillelagh tavern, Edward witnessed Tom and Seth Cobleigh and Julian harassing a maidservant named Rose. He then decided to save the girl, leading to a fistfight. Fortunately, Rose's mistress Caroline Scott arrived to stop the fight. Edward immediately fell in love with Caroline and asked to meet her again.
4- Bernard Kenway scolded his son for fighting the Cobleighs. The following morning, they discovered two of their sheep killed by the Cobleighs. Bernard prevented Edward for having his revenge for the Cobleighs had joined a trade organization which provided protection.
5- Despite their differences in social status, Edward still pursued his love for Caroline and learned that she was the fiancée of the rich trader Matthew Hague. With the help of Albert, he tried to gain the attention of the woman but ended up fighting Matthew, his bodyguard Wilson and Tom.
6- After the fight, Wilson doubled back on Kenway to bruise his pride in his love for Caroline.
-The ship where Edward is assigned to, the Emperor, was attacked by the Amazon Galley captained by Edward Thatch, then still loyal to the British Crown. The Pirates were overwhelmed and Thatch proposed that Edward and Blaney that they fight using fists in order to join his crew. Edward wins and he joined Thatch's crew, beginning a lifelong friendship.
-Edward, as Duncan Walpole, was inducted into the Templar Order along with Woodes Rogers and Julien du Casse before receiving his payment from Grand Master Torres. Edward, not satisfied with his reward, tried to interrogate the Sage himself but ended up being captured by the Templars once they discovered his fake Walpole persona.
Differences from Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag.
- The Assassins' ambush to the Templars in order to rescue Bartholomew Roberts after Kenway, Rogers and du Casse's induction to the Order was omitted and it leads to Rogers's departure for England though Ah Tabai still berates Edward for 'murdering' his students in Havana when they first met.
- Edward admits to knowing a single Italian word: grazie, during his mission in assassinating Woodes Rogers but in the game, he spoke several more words of Italian.
- Edward's feelings towards Anne Bonny is further told in the novel and the two shared a goodbye kiss before Edward left for England with his daughter.
- Robert Maynard is present during the battle against Blackbeard to which his hand was sliced opened by the pirate.
- Edward's pursuit to Bartholomew Roberts was much more different; instead of four frigates belonging to the Spanish and Royal Navies, they were attacked by a British Man O' War called the HMS Swallow who was also after Roberts. This is consistent with the Royal Navy's historical account on its ambush on Roberts.
- Edward was attracted to Mary Read after discovering she was a woman and was disappointed when she used her James Kidd persona once more.
- Stede Bonnet's death was reported to Edward, to which he expressed remorse for his death.
- Julien du Casse cursed at Edward in English rather than French during his final moments.
- No mention is made to Opia Apito, Upton and Vance Travers, and the Templar agents.
- El Tiburon and Edward Kenway had a confrontation after the former discovered his fake Duncan Walpole persona that ended with Edward's defeat and subsequent imprisonment in the Spanish Treasure Fleet. A confrontation between the two was planned in the game but was cancelled for unknown reasons.
- The third chapter of the book can be found in one of the hacked computer files of Abstergo Entertainment. Assassin's were the greatest known for its own unique and consist of protein and the hot water heater.