Assassin's Creed: Awakening (Japanese: アサシン クリード4 ブラック フラッグ 覚醒 Hepburn: Asashin Kurīdo 4: Burakku Furaggu - Kakusei?, lit. Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag - Awakening) is a manga adaptation of the Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag video game. It was serialized in the magazine Jump X, written by Yano Takashi and illustrated by Oiwa Kenji. It was announced on Anime News Network in 9 July 2013, after which the first chapter was released on 10 August 2013. Last twelfth chapter was released in Japan on 9 August 2014.
A French language version was announced on 16 April 2014 and released 12 June 2014 in France under the title Assassin's Creed: Awakening.
In 1715, pirates established a lawless republic in the Caribbean and ruled the land and seas. These outlaws paralyzed navies, halted international trade, and plundered vast fortunes. They threatened the power structures that ruled Europe, inspired the imaginations of millions, and left a legacy that still endures.
Into this world sails a young, cocky, and fearsome captain named Edward Kenway. His skill with a sword and disdain for authority earn him the respect of pirate legends like Blackbeard, but thrust him into an ancient conflict that threatens to destroy everything the pirates have built.
09/11/2016 - Jump back into the world of Edward Kenway, lead character of the best-selling fan favorite game, Assassin's Creed: Black Flag, in this beautiful manga adaptation. Return to the Golden Age of Pirates once more and relive the adventures of the brilliant young captain!
21/12/2016 - With Masato’s mother in a coma and her life in the Templars’ hands, will Masato be able to find the answers he seeks by continuing with Edward Kenway’s life as an 18th Century pirate turned unwilling Assassin? Or could this next voyage kill them both?
11/01/2017 - The third chapter of the Assassin’s Creed manga – collected for the first time in English. Set in the time of the best selling video game, Assassin’s Creed: Black Flag.
15/02/2017 - Edward Kenway starts a new mission but faces trouble immediately - as a mysterious group of assassin's attack! Plus, some old faces return and Seijin faces a glitch…
08/03/2017 - After a vicious battle with a group of Assassins, Edward Kenway tries to get some downtime - and he bumps into some old sparring buddies. One of them takes Edward on a dangerous mission into the jungle where he meets a deadly new foe... In the present day, Seijin faces dangers of his own...
12/04/2017 - FINAL ISSUE! Assassin’s Creed manga, published for the first time in English! Set in the time of Assassin’s Creed: Black Flag!
Several of the events in Assassin's Creed: Awakening differ greatly from the one in Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag, despite it being an adaptation of the game.
- Duncan Walpole's face was clean-shaven and he died due to exhaustion and the blast from the ship, unlike in the game, where he was shown with a beard and died by Edward's blade.
- Adéwalé seemingly does not appear in the comic.
- Throughout the comic, Edward Kenway receives flashes of Eagle Vision that allows him to see through things and anticipate movements.
- During Edward's incident in Cape Bonavista, he was the captain of his own ship, not a part of the brig Jacobite crew.
- Julien du Casse fought Edward in order to prove that he belonged to the Assassin Order
- Mary Read was among the Assassins that attacked Julien du Casse, Woodes Rogers, Laureano de Torres y Ayala and Edward Kenway, where she recognized Kenway and demanded he tell her where Duncan Walpole was.
- Assassin's Creed: Awakening - Volume 1 (August 15, 2017)
- Assassin's Creed: Awakening - Volume 2 (October 17, 2017)
- ↑ Jump X: Assassin's Creed 4 - Awakening page (Japanese)
- ↑ AnimeNewsNetwork: Oiwa draws Assassin's Creed 4 manga
- ↑ MyAnimeList: Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag - Kakusei
- ↑ Le manga Assassin’s Creed Awakening licencié en France (French)
- ↑ Titan to Publish “Assassin’s Creed” Manga Adaptation
- ↑ Amazon.com
- ↑ Amazon.com