Animus data fragments were digital objects spread throughout the Animus-rendered cites of Constantinople and Cappadocia during Desmond Miles' Animus sessions, as well as the many islands of the Caribbean when viewing Edward Kenway's genetic memories by an Abstergo Entertainment research analyst.
- The Animus data fragments resembled the loading symbol from Assassin's Creed II and Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood.
- Collecting 25 data fragments unlocked a map of Ishak Pasha's memoir pages in book shops.
- Collecting 30 data fragments in all unlocked narrow doors in the Black Room, allowing Desmond to witness several vital moments of his life. These could also be unlocked via system update.
- Collecting 50 data fragments unlocked the locations for the remaining 50 on the Animus minimap.
- The achievement "Capped" could be earned by collecting all Animus data fragments.