- This article is about the research analyst assigned to the Sample 17 Project. You may be looking for the research analyst assigned to the Helix.
- "I'm not sure what to do next... quit my job? Or press forward. There is still so much work to do..."
- ―The Abstergo Entertainment research analyst, 2013.[src]
The Abstergo Entertainment research analyst, known amongst their fellow researchers as "Noob" due to their recent arrival, and referred to as "Cipher" by Juno, is an employee of Abstergo Entertainment assigned to the Sample 17 Project. They were tasked with reliving the memories of the pirate Edward Kenway, in order to gain footage for a product that would feature him. On their first day of work, they started a diary detailing their experience at the company.
Not long after their induction, the employee was enlisted by IT head John Standish to hack computers, Animi, security cameras, and servers around Abstergo Entertainment's Montreal facility in order to obtain information on Abstergo's actions for the Assassins, though the employee was not originally aware of this. The employee was also charged with passing on this information to Rebecca Crane and Shaun Hastings, who routinely collected it at Shaun's coffee stand in the building's lobby. While the employee first believed these activities to be innocuous, they soon became suspicious of John, regarding him as "mentally ill".
Eventually, the hacking activity was discovered at the same time that the company's Chief Creative Officer, Olivier Garneau, went missing. In response, Olivier's stand-in, Melanie Lemay, reluctantly imprisoned the analyst and several other employees in bunkers in the basement, where they would continue their work until the hacker could be identified.
Subsequently, John raised the employee's security clearance so that they could leave their bunker, and instructed them to hack the main server in order to cover their tracks. Unbeknownst to the employee, following John's instructions activated a program designed to transfer Juno's consciousness into another body; unfortunately for John, Juno was not yet strong enough to maintain a physical form, and this aspect of the plan failed.
John then entered the employee's bunker while they were using the Animus and revealed himself to be a Sage, a reincarnation of Aita. He attempted to poison the employee, weakening them enough that their body could host Juno. However, he was shortly caught and killed by Abstergo's security guards.
The employee later woke in Melanie's office, where she apologized for imprisoning them. She claimed that while she originally believed them to be the hacker, information recovered from John's computer proved that he was responsible. After Melanie revealed the completed trailer for Devils of the Caribbean as a token of good will, the analyst was allowed to return to work.
While the analyst headed back to their Animus, Shaun and Rebecca contacted them, apologized for getting them into such a mess with John, and offered to recompense the employee if they continued to obtain information on Abstergo Entertainment. The analyst considered their offer, given that having level three security clearance made it unlikely they would be discovered again.
- As stated by developers, the research analyst is meant to be the embodiment of the player themselves in the Assassin's Creed universe, and thus their identity is left ambiguous.
- According to Melanie Lemay in regards to the memories of Arno Dorian, Abstergo had trouble finding the researchers with required potential, in order to extensively explore the genetic memories of individuals with a high count of First Civilization DNA.
- Abstergo Entertainment research analyst's personal files
- Abstergo Entertainment research analyst's diary