|A New Regime|
12 September 1228
A New Regime was a virtual representation of one of Ezio Auditore da Firenze's genetic memories, relived by Desmond Miles in 2012 through the Animus, in which a memory from Altaïr Ibn-La'Ahad was viewed.
Altaïr and Maria spoke with each other while making their way to the Assassin fortress.
- Altaïr: The Templars have retaken their archive on Cyprus. Abbas sent no reinforcements. It was a massacre.
- Maria: Oh my God...
- Altaïr: Maria, when we left Masyaf ten years ago, this Order was strong. But all our progress has been undone.
- Maria: Abbas must answer for this.
- Altaïr: Answer to whom? The Assassins obey only his command now.
- Maria: Resist your desire for revenge, Altaïr. Speak truth and they will see their error.
- Altaïr: He executed our youngest son, Maria! He deserves to die!
- Maria: Perhaps. But if you cannot win back the Order by honorable means, its foundation will crumble.
- Altaïr: You are right. Thirty years ago I let passion overtake my reason. And it caused a rift that has never fully healed.
- Maria: Speak reasonably, and reasonable men will listen.
- Altaïr: Some will, but not Abbas. I should have expelled him thirty years ago when he tried to steal the Apple.
- Maria: But you earned the respect of the other Assassins because you let him stay.
- Altaïr: How do you know this? You were not there.
- Maria: I married a masterful storyteller.
They entered the Assassin fortress.
- Altaïr: Look at this place. Masyaf is a shadow of its former self.
- Maria: We have been away for a long time.
- Altaïr: But not in hiding. The Mongol threat demanded our attention, and we rode to meet it. What man here can say the same?
- Maria: Where is our eldest son? Does Darim know his brother is dead?
- Altaïr: I sent him a message four days ago. With luck it has reached him already.
Abbas... I almost pity him. He wears his grudge like a cloak.
- Maria: His wound is deep. It will help him to hear the truth.
- Altaïr: As I walk these streets, I sense a great fear in the people, not love.
- Maria: Abbas has dismantled this place, and robbed it of all joy.
- Altaïr: We may be walking to our doom, Maria.
- Maria: We may. But we walk together.
Altaïr and Maria confronted Abbas.
- Abbas: Let them speak.
- Altaïr: We seek the truth about our son's death. Why was Sef killed?
- Abbas: Is it the truth you want, or an excuse for revenge?
- Maria: If the truth gives us an excuse, we will act on it.
- Abbas: Surrender the Apple, Altaïr, and I will tell you why your son was put to death.
- Altaïr: Ah, the truth is out already! Abbas wants the Apple for himself. Not to open your minds, but to control them!
- Abbas: You have held that artifact for thirty years, Altaïr, reveling in its power and hoarding its secrets. It has corrupted you.
- Altaïr: Very well, Abbas. Take it.
- Maria: What?
Swami walked up to Altaïr and placed his hand on the Apple.
- Swami: Before I executed your son, I told him you ordered it yourself. He died believing you had betrayed him.
Altaïr activated the Apple's power.
- Swami: Ah!
- Maria: Altaïr!
Swami stabbed Maria, and Altaïr stabbed Swami.
- Maria: Strength, Altaïr.
- Altaïr: Maria...
Maria passed away, due to her injury.
- Abbas: He is possessed! Kill him! Take the Apple! Now!
Altaïr made his way out of the fortress and caught up with his son, Darim.
- Darim: Father! I got your message. What has happened?
- Altaïr: Darim! Turn back!
- Darim: Have they all gone mad?
- Altaïr: We have to go. Abbas must not get his hands on the Apple.
- Darim: If you need more knives, take them.
Darim threw a satchel of knives to Altaïr, and the two made their way out of the village, killing the attacking Assassins.
- Darim: Where is mother?
- Altaïr: She is gone, Darim. I'm sorry...
- Darim: What? How?!
- Altaïr: Later. First we fight.
- Darim: Brothers! We need not fight.
- Altaïr: Forget reason, Darim. They have been poisoned by lies.
- Darim: Was it Abbas who killed my brother?
- Altaïr: He killed your brother, Malik, and countless others.
- Darim: He is a madman.
- Altaïr: A madman with an army.
- Darim: He will die. One day he will pay.
- Altaïr: It is time to go!
Altaïr and Darim departed the village of Masyaf.
- Abbas: I will have the Apple, Altaïr! And I will have your head for all the dishonor you brought upon my family! You cannot run forever! Not from us, and not from your lies!
- Altaïr: Maria. My love...
Altaïr and Darim fled Masyaf after the death of Maria. Abbas became the new Mentor to the Levantine Assassins.