Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
- Jeanne: I have now resumed the practice of dressing as a man, and have put off my woman's dress.
- Geoffroy: Why did you take it? Who made you take it?
- Jeanne: I took it of my own free will. With no constraint: I prefer a man's dress to a woman's.
- Geoffroy: You made an oath, Jeanne! You swore to never again dress as a man!
- Jeanne: I never meant to swear that I would not RESUME the practice.
- Geoffroy: Why have you done so?
- Jeanne: Because it is more lawful and suitable for me to return to the practice of wearing a man's dress – being always among men – than to have a woman's dress. I have resumed it because a promise made to me has not been kept...
[Audio gradually fades]
- Aileen: How is he?
- Satish: Hour three. Doing well.
- Aileen: Are we still in eighteenth century Hungary?
- Satish: No, his connection is so stable, he's jumped between a few ancestors today. We're in fifteenth-century France now. Turns out he's related to one of Joan of Arc's executioners.
- Aileen: Surprise.
- Satish: Aileen... Yesterday, Vidic asked me to help him work out some of the bugs in his Audio-Visual renderer, and I told him–
- Aileen: No no no... come on, Satish. Not you.
- Satish: It wouldn't be permanent. A few months at most.
- Aileen: Months! That will kill every ounce of momentum we have!
- Satish: It won't, I promise. Honestly, I think this could help us. If I can get a look at what his people are doing, we could–
- Aileen: Come on. He's trying to pull you over to his side. You don't see that? He's luring you with quick victories and prestige.
- Satish: That's not what this is about, honestly.
- Aileen: I need to get back to work...
- Satish: Aileen, I'm sorry.
- Aileen: Do what you must. I'll survive.
- Voiceover: Surrogate Initiative, Test Session 32, April 2ndy, 1981. Host, Aileen Bock. DNA Sample, SB1970.
[Static plays over opening line]
- Barthel: Miriam. Miriam, are you awake?
- Miriam: Barthel?
- Barthel: Miriam, they are coming for me.
- Miriam: Who is? The guards?
- Barthel: I see them from my window, amassing in the courtyard. My time is up.
- Miriam: Barthel, don't say this! You don't know that.
- Barthel: Forgive me for this, Miriam, but I must tell you something. The artifact. We have it, but only Oskar and I know its location.
- Miriam: Don't tell me.
- Barthel: They will release you. Your family has connections. You must take the artifact and bring it to the Asssassins. In Paris.
- Miriam: Please don't! I don't want to know. It's safer if I don't.
- Barthel: Hush, now. If I die, knowledge of its location dies with me. You must bring it to the Assassins.
- Miriam: Assassins? I don't understand!
- Barthel: The spire of St. Petrus–
- Miriam: No, I don't want to hear!
- Gestapo Officer: Cell seven! Stand!
[Tape audio gradually mutes]
- Barthel: Navajos lay siege! Navajos lay siege!
- Miriam: Barthel! You mustn't–
[Tape ends, cutting to heavy static]
[A phone rings]
- Aileen: Hello?
- Karl: Aileen, hi. It's Karl.
- Aileen: Karl, I know it's you.
- Karl: Sorry. You just... you sound exhausted. Did I wake you?
- Aileen: No... no, I'm... I've just been busy.
- Karl: It sounds like it.
- Aileen: I'm just a little tired. That's all.
- Karl: No, I mean... your project sounds fascinating. Your colleague, Doctor... Warren Vidic?... he called me recently and told me what you'd been up to.
- Aileen: He what? Warren?
- Karl: Yeah, he told us about your research. Memories. Ancestry. All that. He even asked if you'd be willing to come in–
- Aileen: No! Jesus, no! What the hell is he doing?
- Karl: Aileen. It's okay. We signed some papers... non-disclosure stuff.
- Aileen: No! He's trying to fuck me over. Dammit!
- Karl: Aileen, we just talked about my mother. Just like you and I did. World War two. [sic] That's all.
- Aileen: It's the artifact.
- Karl: The what?
- Aileen: Karl, if he calls you again, you tell him you work through me, okay? That's it. Vidic has been a pain in my ass for years. And I don't need him getting all the glory for my two years of hard work.
- Karl: All right. So... how should I go about this? I mean... the wheels are in motion.
- Aileen: I... I don't know. Just go through me if he contacts you again. Please.
- Karl: All right.
- Aileen: You'll do that?
- Karl: Of course. Yes.
- Aileen: Thank you Karl. I'm sorry I was short with you. I've just been... exhausted. That's all.
- Karl: It's all right, hon. Just... just take care of yourself.
[Phone connection dies, briefly cutting to heavy static]
- Satish: Morning Aileen. We're almost ready. Just a few more adjustments.
- Aileen: Hm. Okay.
- Satish: I had the team do some research on this artifact we've been chasing, and it appears the Third Reich actually found something matching its description sometime in nineteen-forty... Aileen, are you all right?
- Aileen: Sorry, yeah. I'm fine... just a little, uh... scattered. Vidic called my ex-husband last night. He wants to put him in the Animus.
- Satish: To find the artifact before us...
- Aileen: Exactly.
- Satish: Well, it would be faster using Vidic's animus. [sic] And maybe that would let us get back to our original work.
- Aileen: Satish, if we let that happen, then all our money dries up. Lillian is paying us to find the artifact, not improve our methods. Do you understand?
- Satish: Right... of course.
- Aileen: I'm sorry. Let's just... let's burn those bridges when we cross them. Are we ready?
- Satish: Yeah. [sic] Just a few more adjustments and you're in. I made a small change to the Genetic input modulator. I'm hoping that buys you [sic] a few more minutes.
- Aileen: Even a few seconds would be nice. I'm ready...
- Satish: All right. Settle in...
[Recording ends, cutting to static]